Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Trails as marketing aids

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails as marketing aids

I've been wanting to buy a home on a public ATV trail in north Central Minnesota. Have only found a couple of prospects. I'm not sure if there are no trails, or if no one want to sell a place on a trail. I'm also trying to sell my place which is convenient to the Wild Rivers trail system that connects to trails throughout Northern Wisconsin. So far, the interest has been mainly from snowmobilers. Being both a buyer and a seller, I'm sort of testing my theory that being on a trail is a real estate selling point. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by Deeplaker60; 01-10-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I guess it's a selling point to ATVers and snowmobilers but to the general public it might be considered more of a nuisance.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

It's a pretty big selling point in Maine. Very few sled trails are ATV friendly unfortunately so it's hard to find both... Good luck with your sale.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

I would love to live close to the trail system, I'm from Forest lake so i have to trailer the ATV anywhere i go.

I can ride my snowmobile from my garage however.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I guess it's a selling point to ATVers and snowmobilers but to the general public it might be considered more of a nuisance.
You sound like my real estate agent. But, I see it as targeting a market rather than trying to appeal to the general public. We've tried it her way, emphasizing lakeshore. Now, I'll try targeting ATV'ers. You won't find many places where you can roll out of your garage and be on an extensive trail system in a few minutes.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
You sound like my real estate agent. But, I see it as targeting a market rather than trying to appeal to the general public. We've tried it her way, emphasizing lakeshore. Now, I'll try targeting ATV'ers. You won't find many places where you can roll out of your garage and be on an extensive trail system in a few minutes.
That's the truth. I have property in VT with a trail system that runs through it and below it on a public road that acts as a link. The problem is that it's 3 hours from me and I haven't had the money to build or buy anything more than a picnic table. The cost of riding in VT can be as high as $80 per person between fees for a group known as VASA that advocates for ATVers on a state wide basis, club dues, and registration. And you can't ride into town for gas or food at this point. Maine is especially ATV friendly with trail systems that allow you to go into town for food, lodging, and fuel. NH is trying, especially in the north.

In NH there is no income tax or sales tax so I'd love to sell the VT property and get a piece of land in NH with trails nearby closer to home. Maine has high sales and income tax so I don't know that I would buy up there. I'm thinking of property with the thought of eventually moving out of Mass. Just some random thoughts.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

... And you can't ride into town for gas or food at this point...
Before retiring, I commuted to town almost every day on my ATV--legal trails all the way. It probably sounds crazy, my wanting to sell this place. But my wife says that when we moved up here twenty years ago, it was for me. Now she wants to pick where we live. She wants to be closer to family. I'm hoping we can find a place that suits her and is on a trail. There ought to be places like that in Central Minnesota.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wanting to buy a home on a public ATV trail in north Central Minnesota. Have only found a couple of prospects. I'm not sure if there are no trails, or if no one want to sell a place on a trail. I'm also trying to sell my place which is convenient to the Wild Rivers trail system that connects to trails throughout Northern Wisconsin. So far, the interest has been mainly from snowmobilers. Being both a buyer and a seller, I'm sort of testing my theory that being on a trail is a real estate selling point. Will keep you posted.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a place you are looking for in N/C Mn. Many towns, including Thief River Falls (home of Arctic Cat) you can ride right into town on both wheelers and sleds.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

...In NH there is no income tax or sales tax so I'd love to sell the VT property and get a piece of land in NH of Mass...

Be careful about buying property in a state that has no income tax or sales tax. They've got to get money somehow, and they tend to have ridiculously high property taxes.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Be careful about buying property in a state that has no income tax or sales tax. They've got to get money somehow, and they tend to have ridiculously high property taxes.
Some of the towns have pretty high real estate taxes. You just have to do your homework. Where I live, here in Billerica, MA, it's $14 per $1000 valuation. I've seen towns in NH higher and lower. I'm looking into towns that are the same rate or lower. If we move over the border to NH we immediately save thousands or dollars in income tax for my wife's job.

Quick Reply: Trails as marketing aids