OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

Cash for flunkers program

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Here in Texas, insurance is mandatory. Well, mandatory for those of us who are US citizens. If you financed the car, they're gonna expect you to have insurance to cover the loss, and they are included.
Mistake I only made once was getting my payment as low as possible. Year and a half later I had to sell and owed way more than the truck was worth and the insurance only covers what the blue book says its worth. And I'm willing to bet alot of youngin's will make that mistake.

Funny thing you said mandatory for US citizens. I'm in OK and if you have any experience with the oil field at all down there in Texas you know many uh, non US citizens drive the work trucks. The do here in OK anyways. Law here is no insurance, no license. Guess if you don't have one anyway.... haha.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Koopa
True but, mistake I only made once was getting my payment as low as possible. Year and a half later I had to sell and owed way more than the truck was worth and the insurance only covers what the blue book says its worth. And I'm willing to bet alot of youngin's will make that mistake.
Yep, you're screwed if you sell within the first 3 years of a 5 or 6 year loan.

As far as insurance goes, GAP insurance is a must if you finance. Costs about 5 bucks more a month, but if you vehicle is totaled, it pays the difference between what insurance will pay and what you actually owe the bank.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The government also failed to mention that the $3,500.00 or $4,500.00 you got for your clunker would be taxed as income to you!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The system they want to model it after is the system here in Massachusetts. Mitt Romney (not a conservative by the way) instituted it and it was $500 million in the hole by the end of the first year. I kept getting letters from the state saying if I didn't sign up they'd take it out of my tax return. I had to keep on telling them that I was insured through my wife's insurance. I sent about a half dozen emails and 3 letters to get them off my back. Fun. Government in charge of insurance is like saying, "look what they've done for social security". Hmmm, that's broke. How about the Post Office. Oh yeah, they're broke too. Take a look at Medicare and Medicaid. OOPS, broke too. Amtrak, Freddie Mae, Fannie Mac. The budget. Oh, those are all in the red too. I think I'd rather weather the mild storms of private sector insurance rather than the hurricane known as government.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koopa
acording to wikipedia the US is the only industrialized nation not to have it and at the same time have the most expensive and most under performing health care system.

I can tell you that is BULL CHIT!!!!! I've lived in and traveled to almost every corner of the globe, and I can testify that any statement like that is a flat out lie.

Note: Not calling you a lier; just anyone who maeks that statement...

Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Range Rover

I blame credit
How much do you think any vehicle would sell for if everyone had to pay cash?

Inflation is a product of credit.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
And you'd think they'd have learned something from the housing crisis.

Wonder if anyone will be checking to see how many cars that are repossessed in the next 3 years came from this program.
Humm, housing crisis sounds familiar.

So you're saying there's a direct connection between cash for clunkers and the finance piece? All the people that bought under the program can't afford to buy and are a bunch of scumbags that will get repoed, and they used government financing to get them. Nice.

Consider this a little tax break that you so love for the average individual. You love the tax breaks, right?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Red400EXRod
The government also failed to mention that the $3,500.00 or $4,500.00 you got for your clunker would be taxed as income to you!
You'll get taxed on the value of the car by the state when you register it. Just like every other rebate. Individual states have not made the decision yet if they're going to tax the money as income, although some likely will.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
I can tell you that is BULL CHIT!!!!!
Everything is BULL CHIT. Humm. Where have I heard that before.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rkuhnjr
I blame credit
How much do you think any vehicle would sell for if everyone had to pay cash? Inflation is a product of credit.
What? You wouldn't have a damn job or an national economy if there wasn't credit.

Quick Reply: Cash for flunkers program