Chevy versus Ford diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy versus Ford diesel

I have been looking at diesel trucks. Read some nasty posts on various forums about the Ford 6.0L having problems. All the talk of engine mappings made me think I was on the Cannondale forum. Also read that Ford is making changes that will be available in the 2004 trucks built after September 22nd (all the 2004s before will still have the old 2003 engine design).

Being a first time Raptor owner, I am real weary of buying a first year engine from Ford. Anyone on the forum running a Ford diesel? How many times you been back to the shop? Did your mileage suffer when they remapped your engine? Did you know they might have remapped your engine and you lost some power? I like the looksm the ride height, the solid front axle, and the interior space of the Ford. I can't afford to have something that isn't 99% dependable. I think I am leaning towards the Chevy 2500HD Crew cab/short bed. I would like to hear from someone who has either of these.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2001 GMC 2500HD Ext.Cab Shortbed Duramax w/ Allison 5spd auto.... LOVE IT!!!!! The only way I would get rid of this truck is if I buy the 4dr 4x4. Excellent power, ride, and comfort. You wont be disappointed....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

well, we got a new 1 ton dump with the diesel for work, 3500 miles so far on the 6 and no problems yet....great power by the way

Old 08-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

anyone realize this is a atv forum? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

The chevy will never come close to the ford while towing, I have an 03 powerstoke and it had a Ideling problem a couple of weeks after i bought it, took it back to the dealer and they fixed it and i havent had a problem with it since

Old 08-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Ford dumps trannies,they put the same tranny in all there trucks and dont beef it up for the powerstroke..
i know 3 people personally that have had this problem...jmo

Old 08-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptor03
Ford dumps trannies,they put the same tranny in all there trucks and dont beef it up for the powerstroke..
i know 3 people personally that have had this problem...jmo
the trans in the 6.0 is a totally different trans
it hasn't been in any other ford truck

JTF
(just the facts)

Old 08-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

What are you talking about, I am a mechanic and work on the powerstroke and duramax. I am not partiall to either but we have way more tranny problems with the duramax then the ford and the ford with the new 100hp edge chip will beat the duramax with the 125. I have ripped into a ton of trannys and ford is the best built I have ever seen on the diesel. Also ford does beef up the tranny for the diesel and totally reengineered it again for the 6.0 diesel. The only problems ford is having is computer problems and they will get worked out. We had a lot of head problems with the duramax when they first came out so they all have there problems. We do a lot of performance work on the diesels so we stress the crap out of things and the ford drivetrain holds up the best and the cummins engine will hold up to the most power.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BADBRONCO
The chevy will never come close to the ford while towing, I have an 03 powerstoke and it had a Ideling problem a couple of weeks after i bought it, took it back to the dealer and they fixed it and i havent had a problem with it since
That's funny how the new Ford 6.0 250 4x4 are rated for a 13300 lbs. fifth wheel trailer....While the Duramax 2500HD 4x4 is rated at 15500 lbs.

Plus we pulled our fifth wheel travel trailer (38" Feet long, triple axle, one heavy luxurious pig) with a 2001 Superduty F350 2x4 7.3 Diesel and it could not do the job...Up-hill...pedal to the floor...and you barely made the hill....Luckily this was to tryout which truck we were going to get, because our 2000 Silverado 2500 could not do the trick, obviously.

Then we burrowed a '01 2500HD Reg cab Duramax from the Dealer....and it pulled the trailer like a dream...no kidding....Never any need for full throtlle driving and no strain at all on the truck. 1 week later...We bought a '02 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax LT Shortbox(you can see parts of it in my pics)....Expensive but worth every penny.

We've never owned a better truck....nothing has come close.

We haven't tried the new 6.0 Diesel from Ford but I doubt it will be much of an improvement...IMHO.

Jeff

Old 08-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have two buddies at work. One has a Duramax, and the other has a new Powerstroke. Even the Duramax guy will admit that the new Powerstroke will smoke his ISUZU-MAX. Since I work at a GMC dealership I can vouch for the Duramax's durability. The GM's only real downfall is their wimpy IFS. Put a 6 inch lift on it and 35's, and plan on buying balljoints, idler arms, and tie rods on a regular basis. We see it all the time. First words out of our service managers mouth are: " Warranty Voided".

Quick Reply: Chevy versus Ford diesel