ATV deaths vs Vehicle deaths

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV deaths vs Vehicle deaths

Just to put some information out there....

Since 1982 there have been 4,541 deaths (Jan1 1982 - Dec31 2001)

In the one year timeframe of 2001 there were 42,116 deaths due to motor vehicle crash (this number includes 3,181 motorcycle deaths) (20,233 passenger car deaths)

In the one year timeframe of 2001 there were 270 deaths due to ATV crash (about 75 less than the previous 2 years)

By 2002 there were 913,502 ATV's that have been sold. (212,166 in 1992)

By 2000 there were 133,621,420 passenger cars in America (225,821,841 total vehicles in America in 2000)

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...03/809-586.pdf

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/atv2002.pdf

http://www.bts.gov/publications/nati...atistics/2002/

http://www.atvscene.com/on-the-fast-trak/3-3-03.htm

Basically I was pretty bored stuck in the hotel room and this kept me busy for a little while finding the info.....now I'm off to bed and flying back home in the morning.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:43 AM
p3o
Range Rover

In my opionion they should stop going after ATVs and start strenghting the laws to drive a car, It takes a lot more skill to drive a quad then a car. to see the number of deaths vs the number of quads bought that isnt no where near the car deaths vs. the number of them sold. They should look at them statistics and think about it ATVs arent dangerous is you know what you are doing, same with a car/suv etc.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

this is exactly why the CPSC should not be totally responsible for ATVs. they dont understand motorvehicle matters and they jump the gun to fast if something does happen...

unless the wheels fell off under some normal circumstance while riding an atv, the CPSC should butt the hell out and let people who want to ride have the freedom to ride an ATV. Though BY FAR MORE INJURIES AND DEATHS OCCURR WITH AUTOS/MOTORCYCLES - You dont see them wanting to ban cars or motorcycles do you? The only way they get involved with that is to issue recall notices on things that the manufacturer already discovered. I dont even see them tryng to ban the models of cars that had 'saftey recalls' on them. 9 times out of ten the owner doesnt even know and never sees the problem. I had several on my truck that i didnt even know about. but did the CPSC police pull me over and demand that i stop driving it and demand that chevy be held responsible in such a fashion that it threatens the whole automotive undustry??? hell no. because they just hate atvs and see them as useless to their lives so they dont want anyone else to have one. jack@sses...

ATVs should fall under the D.O.T. like every other motorvehicle out there and be regulated in the same fashion. no atv 'endroesement"/permit=no ride.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The reason why alot of people hate atv's are that if a death does occure it is almost always reported on the news...when a car accident occures and someone dies chances are you are not going to here about it. The Media determines what people think about stuff. I agree that D.O.T should Handle atv's too.

Old 08-25-2003, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, they are reported to the news everytime it happens. i think its because somewhere in peoples' minds is the notion that ATVs are toys for their kids and no toy should hurt their kid, right? but they need to REALLY UNDERSTAND and this goes to ALL WHO RIDE ATVs - need to understand that atvs are NOT TOYS! They are motorized vehicles that need to be respected just like a motorcycle or a car. period.

why dont the news do a feature to help educate the public on ATV safety instead of contributing to the hatred of ATVs? What crappy journalism we have. c'mon, any news reporters out there willing to take a stand and report the real facts on ATV issues? Report that they are not toys and need to be respected.

If states would adopt a licensure approach to atv regulations they could weed out some problems before they happen. of course, some buttholes slip thru the system- but tie EVERYONE's auto license to their atv license and i bet you see a change of heart. i think we need to push the states into doing this. C'mon CPSC - give ATVs up to the DOT and push states into doing this. I garrantee you see positive things happen.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

If you read the papers and the statistics being reported there is cause for alarm in considering the ATV accident situation. Their premise leans towards quads getting heavier, more powerful and faster. The truth is - ATV's are getting bigger - not smaller. At some time there may be 1800cc quads! - I imagine a goldwing style 6 cylinder water cooled shaft drive setup as already existing on the two wheeled version. With a 100+mph quad weighing somewere around 1200 pounds being just around the corner - consumer safety groups are reviewing todays accident data that says that more people are being more seriously injured - disporportionetly to the increase in number of riders. Bigger faster ATV's are being looked at as contributing to this ratio change.

As a surviver of a back flipped 1000 pound quad - I tend to agree that a 500 pound atv is less hazardous then one twice that size. It is prudent to ask questions - When do we cross over between ATV and jeep/dunebuggy? Do we want 14 year olds going 100mph down trails headed straight for us or our wife and kids? How big is to big?

There is a guy near here that builds motorcycles with 350ci V8 car engines in them. It wasn't that long ago that a 500 cc quad was a big as they get. Now its 700. What will it be like 5 years from now? When we cross the line between recreation and extreme there must be a distinction.

I'm a pilot - we have different "ratings" for different categories of aircraft. Single engine - multi engine - over 6800 pounds - over 12,000 pounds - turbo prop, turbine.. As technology improves ATV's just like it did the aircraft - would you prefer we look back at what we should have done - or look forward to what we need to do?

I'm no stranger to risk or personal responsability so lets not go lame on that cheap rejoinder. As a skydiver, pilot, atv operator and in anything else the facts remain the same - There are generally accepted limits to anything. The issue is simply to look at where we are going - and the impact it is having.

Rule #1 - if your going to be stupid - ya gotta be tough.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

Then why do they make 500lb street bikes that will do 185????
Or a 3000lb car that does 180???

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Look what I found today:

Floyd County woman
dies after falling off ATV

MCDOWELL, Ky. (AP) - A Floyd County woman died Saturday after falling off the back of an all-terrain vehicle her husband was driving, state police said.

Greta Tackett, 26, of Drift, was pronounced dead at McDowell Appalachian Regional Hospital by Floyd County Deputy Coroner Glen Frazier. An autopsy will be conducted.

The accident occurred on an abandoned road along a McDowell creek, police said.

Tackett was one of four ATV deaths reported by Kentucky State Police IN THE LAST WEEK. Misty Lee, 27, of Symsonia, died last Sunday after a crash in McCracken County. Tad E. Engle, 27, of Barbourville, man died Monday from injuries he sustained after he was thrown from an all-terrain vehicle he was driving in Knox County. And a WEST VIRGINIA man was killed Tuesday after slamming into a cement truck on Ky. 194 in Pike County.

© Copyright 2003 Williamson Daily News

Old 08-26-2003, 04:38 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, here is what I have to say...I am all for atvs, have NO problem with them, and I think that they are only unsafe when the riders get too crazy for their skill level. And another thing, you cant compare ATV deaths to other vehicles cuz there are SOOO many more cars on the road than atvs... but yeah they should get up off the atv riders about being unsafe...when some idiot gets hurt because of the way he is riding, that is good enough. Dont go punishing the rest of us who enjoy riding, him being hurt will teach him good.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hope ya'all don't mind,I found this insightful as well...

By JODY NEAL Bluefield Daily Telegraph August 25, 2003

NORTHFORK - West Virginia is one of the few states without any legislation impacting all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). This is perhaps one reason why McDowell County is appealing to out-of-town riders.
Members of the Piedmont ATV Association were in McDowell County this past weekend for an ATV trip. They spent two days logging nearly 200 miles along the back roads and hidden trails throughout the county.

The group's president and vice-president spoke about the proposed legislation in the state and had mixed views on the matter.

"Legislation regulating ATVs is not a bad thing," Brad Lowe, president, said. "But as poor as most people are in this county, I don't see how they could afford to put insurance on them, especially if the insurance costs as much as car insurance."

"ATVs would really help some people around here," Vice-president Bradley Carver said. "ATVs would help them get to work, especially if they didn't have a car."

Banning ATVs from paved roads is also another matter the two disagree with. "We don't want to have to stop riding on paved roads because sometimes we can't help it. We only ride from point to point, we don't ride into Welch on U.S. Route 52," Carver said. "We take the back roads and trails as much as possible."

Lowe thinks the legislators should be more interested in enforcing riders to wear helmets and other ATV safety concerns. "They need to teach them how to drive on the roads."

They don't believe in setting an age limit for ATV riders, but do stress educating children about the dangers of ATVs. "Just yesterday we saw three girls riding on one ATV and none of them had a helmet on," Lowe said.

"If you've got young kids that want to ride, that's good. But you have to teach them the proper way to ride," Carver said. "When you instill that in them, you're not only helping them, but in a small way, you're helping society too."

- Contact Jody Neal at jneal@bdtonline.com

©Bluefield Daily Telegraph 2003
Reader Opinions

Name: Calvin Melbourne
Date: Aug, 25 2003
Mr. Carver, I have a question for you.....if I have to carry insurance and pay for registration and taxes on my cars to ride on paved roads, and I also live in "poor" McDowell County, what gives you or any other ATV rider the right to ride on the paved roads without it? Your thinking process is way off. ATV riders in McDowell County do not just ride the paved roads to get where they want to go from point to point, they ride wherever they want, whenever they want, from Anawalt to Welch and everywhere in between! If I recall correctly it also says clearly on every ATV "For offroad use only, do NOT ride on paved highways" and "One rider only" but all of these things are overlooked. Our current government administration does not have enough guts to pass or enforce regulations against ATV riders. Keep ATV's OFF the paved roads!!!

Quick Reply: ATV deaths vs Vehicle deaths