MN to allow ATV's up to 900 cc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004 | 10:11 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default MN to allow ATV's up to 900 cc?

There is a proposal in the works that will allow ATV's in MN to be 900cc. Unfortunately, when going this big, that would only allow the American manufacturers to build them. But considering that Suzuki, Honda, Arctic Cat and Polaris have plants in the USA (not sure about Yamaha and Kawasaki) there should/could be a good selection to choose from if they decide to build them that big.

This is going to get interesting. If MN goes ahead with this, how many other states will follow suit?

Old 01-23-2004 | 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

why what is the size limit now? It shouldnt be any of their buisness what companies build this is america and if you get hurt on them its your own fault. stupid sue happy people ruined our two strokes and they are gonna try and runin everything else about this country

Old 01-23-2004 | 12:05 PM
|
Pro Rider

the current limit is 800c

Old 01-23-2004 | 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Considering the limit used to be 600cc not that many years ago, its hard to believe they need to up it all the way to 900,at what point does it stop? the 700cc monsters we have now have more than enough power for work/play, it seems now the only thing left is the "mines bigger than yours" syndrome the manufacturers seem to be having. I realize the side by side seat style ORV ( can't really call them ATVs) need bigger motors to haul the extra size and weight, but allowing engines approaching 1000 cc in an ATV frame seems a little excessive. Too many people, mostly inexperienced newer riders, are getting hurt by not being able to control the power output of current quads, just because they had to have the newest,biggest ones out there. I am in no way denying anyone the right to drive whatever they want, this is America,and a knowledgeable, responsible rider can usually handle most any machine and situation. At this rate, soon they will need to put fuel stations every few miles to keep those big machines running !!! I hope I dont' sound biased, I have been more than happy with my ' tiny ' 350 for many years, and don't see that changing any time soon, just not looking forward to the day when I have to pull off the trail to let a 1200 cc beast squeeze by me on the trail !!!

Old 01-23-2004 | 01:40 PM
Range Rover

GOOD POST 95WLOV, I THINK ALL IT WILL DO IS CREATE MORE INJURIES AND DEATHS AND GIVE THE ANTI ATV PEOPLE MORE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

Old 01-23-2004 | 01:48 PM
Range Rover

If they do make them that big I would hope that whover buys them will have enough common sense than the weekend warriors I see on the ever-increasing snowmobile platforms. Most of the accidents around here involve too much speed and too little common sense. I believe a little company research would benefit the atv makers before production, such as; "what uses would you use this for", "how old are you", how many years riding", etc...

Old 01-23-2004 | 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

how much extra weight would be in a quad that size imagine rolling one the rider would have no chance.

Old 01-23-2004 | 02:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

Bartlett,

I, personally would be more concerned about those, like 95wolv mentioned, that would buy something like this thinking they need the biggest, baddest machine on the trail, but are physically and mentally incapable of riding a machine this big.

IMHO, a motor this size is more suited for those vehicles like the "side-by-side" that was in the survey sent out by ATV Conneciton not too long ago. It has that "Honda" appearance to it.

Would I like to see something that big in a sport machine? Sure, but I would only use that much power for straight-line racing. If it was in a utility machine, it would have to be a torque monster that would be suited more for yard/farm work.

To sum it up, I wouldn't be concerned about a new law increasing the displacement. But I do feel that there are limits as to what we can actually call an "ATV" before it is ultimately an ORV.