Freightliner or Peterbilt trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freightliner or Peterbilt trucks?

which is known for its quality, and which has been around longer? which one would be worth buying for any purpose or reason?

thanks

Old 03-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no comparising a Pete to a Freightshaker! I have driven both.

Peterbilt puts all the switches and guages etc where you can see or reach them. The visibility out of a Pete is execelent....Except for in the 379-127. You cannot see whats directly in front of you with that long hood.....Sure does look good though.

The a/c and heater controls work great and you can get the temp just right. The Pete clutch pedal takes some getting used to. The cab is narrow but long, I can stretch out in a pete.

The guages and switches in a Freight are all over the place. The Fld120 and FLd132 have the cupholder from hell!

True story: The cupholder is in a place thats directly below the headlight switch. This cupholder is too small for anything except a small cup. My 1st time in a Freight I was driving Up I-5 In N-Cali @ about 70 mph....At night. I attempted to put a 20 oz cup of Pepsi in the cupholder from hell and managed to turn off the headlights. If driving an unfamiliar truck in the dark w/o headlights was not bad enough I managed to spill the soda in my lap, on my log book and run down 1/4 mile of rumble strips b4 I got things figured out.

The air powered w/s wipers are terrible. The seat feels like a concrete bus bench. They rattle,squeek and feel cheap. Stepping on the clutch will raise the air seat up so that you cant step on the brakes. I cannot stretch out in a Freight due to the fuse box thats right next to the gas pedal.

The a/c and heater controls suck! Either too hot or too cold.

The price is right on Freightliners. You can buy a Freightliner with every option for much less than a Pete with the same options. I've been thinking of buying a truck and it would have to be a "Shaker" due to the pricing.

Underneath the trucks are pretty much the same. Same engines, transmissions and axles. A Freight will ride much better than a Pete, The Petes are rather choppy.

HTH

Old 03-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Peterbuilts..I love em..My dad just sold his,and retired pretty much..He's been out of truckin for maybe a month and a half..And he wants back in.lol..Anyways, I have rode in both,Pete and Freightshaker..Personally, I love the peterbuilt layout. They ride like a caddy,and are good trucks. Freightliner,they are made really cheap,and are just flat out ugly. Peterbuilt seems like it climbs better. I dont know if any of you know where Buffalo Valley is here in Tennessee..But he could start out on that hill at 75,and end up at about 66 when he got to the top,of course he had it turned up to 127..lol..Just my opinion on the 2 trucks though.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing
geta mac !!!!! or a kenny !!!!!

I drove a Mack. I liked it except for the looks. I just don't like the looks of the newer air eficient trucks.

I didn't care for the KW's much. Same problem with the heat/ac controls, too hot or too cold. The gas pedal is too close to the seat and you gotta bend your ankle at a weird angle to push on it.

Was a very quiet truck though.

The worst pos I ever drove was a Sterling. Everything was wrong with it, it was brand new off of the lot. The seat was wayyy too high even if lowered all the way. We ended up using it for training because it took 2 people to shift it. The shifter was so far from the dr seat that you had to unlatch the seat belt and lean over to grab the shifter.

We made the passenger shift it! It was closer to him.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer

I have driven both, and I agree with Chris 142. There is no comparison. I would take the Peterbilt any day.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:30 AM
KGB
Pro Rider

Petes, KW's, (both Paccar) are by far the nicest trucks avail, Western Star and Mack do pretty good too. But F/L and Volvo are cheaper for a reason (and fleet trucks ).

Old 03-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Peterbilt started in 1939 when when T.A. Peterman bought the old Fagoel (sp) factory in California. Before that he was in the lumber business in the Pacific Northwest. He took old log trucks and refurbishing them for use in his business. All the best features of the older log trucks were incorporated into the design of the early Peterbilts; that's why they looked like carbon copys of early Kenworths, which were/are built in Seattle.

Freightliner didn't start until the '60s. I'm not as clear on this history, but it seems like Consolidated Freightways had something to do with the beginnings of Freightliner, because they wanted cheaper trucks for their fleet operations.

Either brand is worth buying, depending on your purpose or reason. If you have a successful trucking business and like style and comfort, get Petes. If initial cost takes priority, get Freightliners.
It should be noted that with new trucks especially, price varies widely by model and by the options installed. A 379exhd costs a lot more than a short hood 379.

If you really want to see what trucks are best, don't look on the roads, look in the forests. Logging is about the most demanding thing you can do with a truck, and log truck fleets are almost exclusively KWs and Petes, at least where I'm from.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:38 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Oh but long hood 379's arethe most beautiful site on the road, as long as they have a nice spread axle Great Dane behind. Your right about CF starting Freightliner, whhich now is owned by Diamler Chrysler.
I have to show you guys a picture of the nicest rig I have ever seen. My partner sold this trailer. I will find the pic.
I tried to post it onmy page, its called "peterod" Itsa Vlad Bilik's truck. It has suicide doors and it even has a kickstand.

Old 03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

i've seen those extended sleeper cab peterbilt trucks too, are those special made to order thing that the customer customizes? because when i go to their website i can't fine the extended sleeper cab versions, those are mad nice, but probably expensive,

Peterbilt does make those extended sleeper trucks right?

thanks

later

Old 03-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well in my opinion it is more about which engine you get then which truck you get. However I will say that the PeterBilts hold resale value WAY better than any Freightliner.

Just make sure to get a CAT Diesel or if you have to a Detroit.

How about one of the new Mack trucks? Those are very nice.

Also remember if you are not going to be hauling cross country then there is no need to get a 500+ HP engine it is a total waste of fuel and if you are an owner/operator you will notice it quickly.

around 400HP is PLENTY of power with the right gears.

Quick Reply: Freightliner or Peterbilt trucks?