Back Health/Riding

Old 07-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Back Health/Riding

Bing ive been through had herniated disk l-4,l-5 about 13 years ago , if possible keep up with the bone cruncher . at the time didn't know what a good chiropractor could do and had surgery ,wish i could change that but can't go back .. have occasinly hurt my back since and my chiro has always put me back in shape ..
But some thing you can do when you start to get better is get the stomach muscles strong , i do 4 different types of crunches at a hundred each. the doctor told me i would be useing a cane by the time i'm 40 well i'm 39 and just bought a z400 last fall and i ride as hard as ever , but every body is different but you will have to get those stomach muscles strong or you will have continuing problems .
also i did get a very good waist belt to help keep a proper posture , i call it my stupid belt ,it helps me from doing stupid thing like how to lift properly ,,, always lift with your legs never your back ...

Old 07-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have my sympathy, Bing. I've suffered from various back problems for many years but none were due to disc problems so my experience may not be directly applicable to yours.

First, I suffered a broken back in a car wreck 22 years ago which necessitated fusion of 3 or 4 vertibrea in the L1-T12 area, initally held together by Harrington rods. The rods came unclamped about a year later and had to be removed. Spinal cord damage from this injury caused problems with mobility. After a great deal of effort, I regained the ability to walk with a cane. I had to give up my motorcycles and dirt bikes because I couldn't operate foot brakes & shifters and lacked leg strength to mainrain balance. Plus, I couldn't get a leg over a bike unless it was on the centerstand. So I didn't do any riding for several years.

Then some genius in Japan invented ATVs. And another genius in the USA invented floorboards, automatic transmissions and hand-operated brakes. My first ATV was a 1992 Suzuki 230 that I modified with a hand operated shifter and brakes and installed floorboards. My first Polaris was a 1996 Scrambler 400 4X4 - I still have it along with three other Scramblers and a V-Force Kawasaki. With these bikes I was able to ride long and hard but I tried to avoid getting big air cause the landings hurt my back.

My second back problem was a compression fracture in the same area as the original injury caused by hitting an unseen rut at speed on my Scrambler. After it healed I really avoided big air.

Third back problem was a spondilositosis (sic) in the L-5 area that required surgery a year ago to fuse three vertibrae. I've just recently started riding again but it will take another year of healing before I feel inclined to get any air.

Over the years, I have obtained relief from debilitating pain by regularly seeking chiropractic and massage therepy. It didn't always work but pain pills didn't work either. My back is much better now than it was a couple of years ago. I now use a wheelchair because it's just too damn much trouble to go through all that therepy again, and besides the chair is faster than walking with a cane.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:00 AM
Quad Patrol

Tencube, ditto on the good post[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I had the injections in my back when I injured it. It took 3 shots (max. my dr. would give) to help me. I also had biofeedback to help me deal with the pain that I had. I learned a lot from those sessions. At the time, I didn't believe in chiropractors. But, did not want to go under the knife[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So, I visited one, (as a last resort) that my sister was seeing. After a few visits, started to see a difference. Now, I go for maintenance about every 2-3 weeks. Occasionally, I will visit more for my back. I just do stupid things every once in awhile. Like Tencube, I have changed the way I do things, especially the way I ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good Luck, Hope you feel better soon. Lt. Dan

Old 07-25-2004, 01:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

thanks for the replys guys!!

i got it alright compared to some of you!!

caused by hitting an unseen rut at speed
I know what you mean by that comment.

Sounds like I should trade in the quads for a pool/hottub setup.

Im trying to shed some lbs (ive got about 50 too many) to relieve some pressure,,,,,but its tough when your laying down all the time.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I found out this evening that the local pool has water therapy hours every AM,,,,,early,,,,,so that is my next step. I think I could handle that at this point.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Bing

Sounds like I should trade in the quads for a pool/hottub setup.

I wouldn't say trade in your quads[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, I do spend a lot of time in my spa and it does make a difference.
We just celebrated my neighbor's dad's 80th birthday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I hope when I'm his age, I can do half of what he does. He's a machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

L5/S1 here, too. I took Vioxx 25mg to reduce the nerve inflamation, a chiropractor can help if the disc isn't completely blown out.

Old 07-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've had some lower back problems. First, I went to a family doctor and he just wanted to give me drugs. It got so bad that I had to stop and sit several times while walking, shopping or whatever. This went on for a while. Then I went to the family chiropractor and he adjusted things a few times. The pain started to go away after about 4 visits. Once a while the pain will come back and I go in for another visit. I've learned to pay attention to the different positions that the chiropractor twist me into. If I start to feel a little pain then I stretch in those directions. My two favorite movements- sitting on the floor with my legs out in front of me. I twist back behind me (legs still out front) in one direction and then the other. Like I'm trying to reach something behind me. This usually adjust things a little. The other movement I copy from the chiropractor. I lay on the floor on my side. I have someone hold my knees against the floor. Then I twist my upper body back with my legs still against the floor. Then I switch sides. This stretches the outer lower parts of the back. Usually the chiropractor does it in one fast movement to pop things back into position.

I used to lift weights pretty heavy. As I get older, I've been keeping things a little lighter and trying to do more on the elliptical trainer. (less stress) I used to ride a recumbent bike but I didn't burn as many calories. I have a Diamondback elliptical trainer and it works great. My lower back used to hurt if I walked up a hill. I feel no pain while doing the elliptical. It's also easier on the knees.

Some people have typed that the Foreman rides like a truck. The Foreman rides a heck of lot better than a Recon. My back doesn't hurt as much as it used to. Maybe something with a independent suspension would help keep you in the sport. Diamondback

Old 07-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Interesting to read all the bad back stories. I mentioned I had never met anyone that had good results from chiropractic services on a bad back. Now I have. Apparently it totally depends on the injury. Makes sense.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went off a small drop off at the dunes. I didn't have time to stand all the way and my butt hit the seat good. I'm still feeling that one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back Health/Riding