Playstation 2 question--mine won't read the blue discs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playstation 2 question--mine won't read the blue discs...

Not really an ATV topic but just wanted to see if any of you out there know why my PS 2 won't read game discs that are blue colored on the back. Most game discs are black colored on the reading surface, but I've noticed there are some discs that are blue colored. My PS2 tries to read these game discs but always comes up saying "disc error". I'ts a brand new game and there are no scratches on the disc. It's only happened with the blue colored discs. I bought my PS 2 the 1st year they came out and heard there may be compatability problems with certain games.........is this what's going on??? I would really like to play my Gundam Battle Assult 3 game!
~ Thanks to all who reply

Old 12-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a first year model too, It reads blue discs but I have noticed it has more problems with the blue ones. If there is the slightest scratch it tends to freeze up a lot.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Common problem in the PS2.

Call Sony support at 1-800-345-SONY and tell them you get "Disk Read Error" when you try to play certain disks and DVD's.
Even out of warranty, Sony has been repairing them, all you pay is shipping to them. I have done it, and my brother did it too.

Troubleshoot with them, but keep hitting them with the "Disk Read Error" every time you see it. They know it's a problem, and are in the middle of a class action because of it. That is likely why they are repairing out of warranty ones.

If you modded it, or opened the case, you are S.O.L.

Old 12-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

If you have opended it up already, search on Google or something for "PS2 Disc Read Error" I found a couple sites that explain how to adjust the voltage for the laser that should help. cheapass, my PS2 started doing that last year and I took it to one of the game shops around here and he told me Sony would not do anything about it, other than charge me $100 to repair it. How did you get so lucky?

Old 12-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Try putting it upside-down. The laser gets closer to the disk and it reads better. This used to work on the ps1's after you chipped them, couldn't hurt trying it.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: VelociRaptor350
Try putting it upside-down. The laser gets closer to the disk and it reads better. This used to work on the ps1's after you chipped them, couldn't hurt trying it.
that's what I do when I want to play blue-backed discs on my ps2 and it seems to work.

Old 12-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

i opened mine up last year and clean the laser with rubbing alchol and havent had a problem since

Old 12-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

ya me and about three friends have the first version and mine is the only one that works, i have had this problem to i found a simple fix. open it up clean the lazer and dust it with that can of air stuff. do not put your ps2 near rug or in a dusty area they seem to suck everything in. if you blow into the fan and the filter on the front with air abnout once a month and blow threw the expansion area it works fine. i have also seen discs get wrecked by having the ps2 on its side. sony will not acknowledge it but it rubs the sides of the discs in that little slot when its sideways and eats away the disc slowly.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

mine too, well i asked a guy and he said that after a while, older ps2's quit reading blue back, cause they wear out