Scuba

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scuba

Ok First off i'd like to say that i'm going to Flordia in a week to scuba for 5 days! And i'm getting my Advanced Open Water [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Second.... I just curious how many divers we have on this site. If you are one i'd be interested to see where/when you dive. I know we must have a couple here!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Scuba

I haven't had the pleasure yet but I am currently enrolled in an open water certification class set to begin April 5th. (I'm waiting because we can get it cheaper through the university I attend.)

Please send me some pictures of your dives if you have any. I collect underwater photographs. Digital copies are fine.

Happy Diving

~HoundDog

Old 01-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Scuba

Your in luck my friend! I have a friend who is an avid Underwater Photographer and she has some good pictures, I'll ask her to e-mail me a few for you!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Scuba

there is a guy on this site called rescuediver(don't know if that is just a name or what)..........but just for laughs I though I'd throw some crap at ya guys.......I'd think seriously at watching open water before I left............

Old 01-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Scuba

Now your talking my lingo. I am a comercial diver . I do ship inspections and salvage. A buddy and I have a D.E.C. issued permit to harvest sunken old groth oak timbers. We have shipped 13 tractor trailer loads so far. I have dove on aprox.125 different ship wrecks. The deepest being almost 300 foot depth. My credentials are: PADI Divemaster, NASDS Dive Supervisor, Advanced NITROX, Helium Trimix, Surface supplied air, Super Lite 17, Cave and Wreck, Ice certified, Dive medic, Diver rescue, Swift water rescue, Under water Archaeology and Diving in poluted or hazzardoud environments......The list goes on. I am a member of the local dive rescue team where I live. I have saved several lives and recovered around 12 bodies. We use side scan sonar to find "stuff". We have several boats and all the dive gear and equipment ever invented. Under water photography and video. Some of our footage has been on TV. It took around 14 years to get here. Training never ends. Diving is very rewarding and anyone that is able could greatly benifit from it.

PS. I also have a 4 wheeler

Old 01-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Scuba

i wish i could get into it. my cousin( rich guy) fly's all over the world diving. he has given me lessons in his pool( i know, that lame) but i loved it. just cant seem to find the dollars needed to go to the islands, and so on, from michigan. good luck to ya though, couse it has got to be ausome to dive a reef( spelling?)
bobsev, i can only emagine some of the story's you could tell! i can also emagine some nightmares you might of had pulling out he drown. the highs and lows in your career have got to see a book sooner or later. if you dont mind me asking, what is the highest profile dive you've made? what ships have you searched?
i have seen a show on t.v. about guys diving for old oak timbers to use for furniture, and so on. wood that we just done have anymore on this planet( at least not to harvest) was that by chance you and your crew doing that?
anyway, if ya feel like sharing, i would love to read on what you've done.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Scuba

I am a former diver. I spent 2 years doing fish imitations off Okinawa.
My day:
Work
Dive
sleep
repeat.

Haven't been in years though, landlocked now. Seriously considered getting freshwater and cave certs, and taking up water spelunking.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Scuba

Originally posted by: mich660griz
i wish i could get into it. my cousin( rich guy) fly's all over the world diving. he has given me lessons in his pool( i know, that lame) but i loved it. just cant seem to find the dollars needed to go to the islands, and so on, from michigan. good luck to ya though, couse it has got to be ausome to dive a reef( spelling?)
bobsev, i can only emagine some of the story's you could tell! i can also emagine some nightmares you might of had pulling out he drown. the highs and lows in your career have got to see a book sooner or later. if you dont mind me asking, what is the highest profile dive you've made? what ships have you searched?
i have seen a show on t.v. about guys diving for old oak timbers to use for furniture, and so on. wood that we just done have anymore on this planet( at least not to harvest) was that by chance you and your crew doing that?
anyway, if ya feel like sharing, i would love to read on what you've done.
Hey mich660griz, To answer your question about dives i've done that got some attention, hers's a couple. I discovered a Pre WW1 mine recovery vessel with a 50mm gun on the bow and it was a steamer. Mostly made of wood. 4 foot prop. Another cool find was 115 bottles of Glen Levit scotch bottled in the 1870's. That was worth around $1,000 per bottle. I found a live 18 pound Brittish artillary shell. I turned it over to Ordinance Disposal at Fort Drum and they destroyed it. I was later informed that it exploded with enough boom to completly destroy a house. We sell the oak we recover to a company in wisconsin. Check out their website (Timeless Timber). some of our footage should be on there. The timbers we find can be up to 30" square and 55' long. A stick like that would pay us several thousand dollars. Multiply that times 13 tractor trailer loads in just two years. I found a torpedo launch tube from a PT Boat. Of course all the usual trinkets like cannon *****, guns, hundreds of bottles that are centuries old, dozens of kedge anchors up to 3000 pounds, tons of old chain, cannon, tools and hardware from 18th & 19th century scooners. I lifted an airplane that went down in 150 ft. deep water in the St Lawrence River. It was later repaired and flies today. I did a cool penetration dive on a German U-Boat sunk during WW2. Recovered lots of snowmobiles, ATVs, cars, trucks, boats, outboard motors, jewelry, weapons, things dropped during bridge repairs and construction. Maratine laws are definitly in favor of the recovering diver when it comes to ownership of the stuff you find in the water. The only snag is, if we raise a whole vessel, like a boat or a plane, or recover any part of a ships cargo, it has to be turned over to the "Receiver of Wreck" in Quebec City untill ownership is established.
Well, enough rambling. Beleive it or not its just my hobby. I'm a building contractor.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Default Scuba

Been muff diving a few times, never found anything to claim. Will keep trying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Scuba

Originally posted by: MrDumass
Been muff diving a few times, never found anything to claim. Will keep trying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Your killin' me

Quick Reply: Scuba