2000 Model Overview

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-1999, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the chance to see in person, and look over (but not ride) about all the 2000 models. Not sure who cares, but here is my opionion.

Honda:
In the pictures I didn't think so, but in person, I really like the Honda trademark, "bold new graphics" on the sport models. The 300ex looks great! Other than that, everything seems to be the same.

Kawasaki:
I like the new Mojave colors, they look good. From what I could tell, that was about the only change in the Kawasaki lineup unless I missed somthing.....

Yamaha:
Wow! The '00 Grizzly looks good. It looks really aggressive and attractive, like some other things I didn't like at first, the over all appearance with the aluminum wheels and side covers are starting to look good. The '00 Banshee is, as always, hard to describe how fast it "looks" even when the key is off. I like the blue. I haven't got to see the new Kodiak or Big Bear yet.

Suzuki:
I was really impressed with the new Quad Master. I like the fact that it is fairly small, and still had a good sized motor. I absolutly love how narrow the stance is when sitting, because the clutches are tucked in better, than any Polaris I have ever ridden. It shifted from 2wd to 4wd easier than their other 4x4 models, and I like the range selection up on the tank. Good job Suzuki. Now if they will update their other models.

Bombardier:
I still can't find any....

Polaris:
For the most part, they pulled a "Honda" with just graphic changes. I like their new models though. I envy the new swing-arm and rear suspension on the Scramblers, but dissapointed they dropped the yellow Sport colors, I loved that. The thing that impressed me most was the range selector. It is a lot smoother than the '99's were, and so much better than previous '99's that you can't even compare them. That is a good update.

Overall, it seems pretty dissapointing though. Polaris & Yamaha is the only one that really imtroduced new models or made lots of updates, and even those aren't too exiting. Suzuki, needs to do more, but I like their Quad Master and can't wait to ride one. I think the ATV market is heading a good direction, just way to slow.

Old 08-28-1999, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam,
I had the opportunity to ride with a new Big Bear 400 4X4 the other nite. It was BRAND NEW that day, had Vampires, and winch. It did really well until we crossed the river, he went thru about two feet of water, and one headlight went out. No big deal, so we kept riding, the typical 3wd reached up and bit him several times in the mudholes cause after he would get winched on thru I was able to drive thru with my 22" Bear Claws carrying a passenger.
After about an hour of riding, it stalled out for no apparent reason. Got it restarted, and off we went, but as he would throttle up the engine, the remaining headlight would go almost completely out... hhmmmm.. sounds like a charging problem...
When we all got to places to play and cut up, he would just shut down and watch... started heading back, it ran BAD... NO lights, and one pissed off rider!!.. It made it back to the trucks, but you could tell that guy was HOT!!...
Hopefully that was just one out of a thousand, but it brought back bad memories of me and my Yamaha... The new muffler was a nice touch though!