can u ride on a suspended license?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can u ride on a suspended license?

according to the officer that just gave my buddy a ticket for going to fast down the beach on his banshee, its against the law to ride your quad on a suspended license in california. So the next question is how come little kids can ride without a license all together?? KINDA SH!!TY...

Old 02-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

I know in Minnesota you need a Drivers License to ride in the ditches. But you could ride on (legal) state forests trails without one.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like b.s. to me.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I agree with slinger on this one.

But then again a friend got a DWI when he wrecked his motorcycle on "PRIVATE" land. They took him to the hospital and did a blood draw. CHP came in and arrested him on the bed. A friend of mine told me that story and I through the BS flag on that one.
A while latter I talked to the guy it happend to............to make a long story short I am now eating crow.
Now I don't go for drinking and driving, but I don't give a rats behind what people do on their own property. I thought the whole thing stunk.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you dont need a licence to run a wheeler in maine. and as far as i know you can drive one w/ a suppened licence as well. i know a guy that does and its only mode of transp. as long as you stay on the trails and off the rds.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
I agree with slinger on this one.

But then again a friend got a DWI when he wrecked his motorcycle on "PRIVATE" land. They took him to the hospital and did a blood draw. CHP came in and arrested him on the bed. A friend of mine told me that story and I through the BS flag on that one.
A while latter I talked to the guy it happend to............to make a long story short I am now eating crow.
Now I don't go for drinking and driving, but I don't give a rats behind what people do on their own property. I thought the whole thing stunk.
That sounds like harassment to me. Here in Texas, you don't need a license to ride a quad on private or public lands. Of course you can't ride on the roads. What I don't understand it how he got a DWI on private land? If it is private land, that means they can't do anything to you unless you break the law. And, there are no motor vehicle laws governing private land. If it were, then they are taking away our freedom. Yes, you can't "kill" someone on your private land because that law has no boundries, but motor vehicle laws apply to public lands and public roads. If California is this way, then that's sad the people didn't reject that recomendation before becoming a law. I know someone here who had an officer harass him for "riding too fast" on his 5 acres that was by a major road. My friend would ride down his fence line on his side of his property. The officer said he would issue a ticket the next time this happened. Well, the guy filed a complaint against him and the police department using a lawyer and the officer was reprimanded.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
IBut then again a friend got a DWI when he wrecked his motorcycle on "PRIVATE" land. They took him to the hospital and did a blood draw. CHP came in and arrested him on the bed....
Well certainly a cop can issue a citation, but if your friend had disputed it I'll bet that cop would be looking down in front of his seargent after making his department look stupid.

He has no jurisdiction seeking to enforce motor vehicle regulations on events or actions that took place on private property, and certainly none on a 'violation' they did not even attend!

Did your friend just roll over and accept this crap? Just cause a cop writes a ticket, it ain't cut in stone.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in a courtroom as that cop tries to justify to the judge how he came to write a DUI over a motorcycle accident that he did not attend, that took place on private land, and for which he can offer no proof of continuity from the scene to the hospital in which he claimed his blood sample!

And yet due to no dispute, the cop got away with it!

Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Slinger
That sounds like b.s. to me.
Agreed.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

05raptorman660,

Check out the bottom of this page: Laws and Safety for California OHV

Hope this helps. I think you will find your answer here.

SB

Old 02-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUSPENDED DRIVING PRIVILEGE

A driver’s license is not necessary to operate an OHV in most areas. However, if your driving privilege is suspended in California, you may not operate an OHV on California public lands [CVC 14601.1(e)].

I learned something today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: can u ride on a suspended license?