Need Help with ATV Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006 | 01:22 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Help with ATV Purchase

I am new to the forum and was hoping that someone might be able to assist me in my purchase of two ATV's. My wife and I are looking for 2 quads that are reliable, dependable, fun, and flexible in that we can use them in a multitude of settings. I had a 1989 Banshee years ago and when I resided in the San Diego area, we would hit Glamis a few times a year. Had a blast. Now we are in the Salt Lake City area and need machines that would be great for the sand, mountain riding, possibly Moab (slickrock), etc. I was thinking about those big 4x4 quads, but a friend who has a Banshee indicated that the 4x4's are not so good in the sand. My wife has only ridden once or twice and is not much of a dare devil.

So my question is this:
We want two quads that are very versatile, yet safe enough for my wife. Someone is nearby is selling 2 Honda Sportrax 400 EX. One is a 2002 and the other is a 2003. Would these be good bikes or are there others that would be better suited for us.

Old 05-22-2006 | 01:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I would say take a good look at those 2 400ex's. They are good, reliable quads. You won't get break neck speed, like the old banshee, but they get along well. In stock form, the wife will probably feel safe and comfortable on it. You should be able to get them for 5 or 6k, so alot less then looking for new quads.

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:04 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I was mistaken as to the year on one of the bikes. One is a 2003 and the other is a 1999. The 1999 is modified with the following:
426CC PORTED AND POLLISHED, FULLY PIPED AND R4 EXHAUST, +2 INCH A-ARMS, COMPETITION TRIPPLE RATED WORKS SHOCKS WITH PIGGY BACK REZZIS, RED FRAME, SILVER MAIER PLASTICS, FACTORY EFFECTS SEAT COVER, TWIST THROTTLE ON ALUMINUM FLY HANDLE BARS, LONESTAR MOUNT, NEW FRONT AND REAR SPROCKETS GEARED FOR FASTER ACCELLERATION, NEW RED CHAIN, K&N AIR FILTER WITH OUTER WEAR, ALUMINUM HIGH FLOW AIR BOX, AIR SCOOPS, TURF TAMERS ON REAR.

Still a good bike?

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

The 99 is the first model year. Some think that there is bugs in the 99 others say, those people are dreaming. I am willing to guess any bugs that were in it have been worked out in the last 7 years. The 426 is the max bore on the stock sleeve. That means if the cylinder looses compression you have tore sleeve it. They can be thrashed for 5 plus years and still run strong, so it should be fine. If you ride them both you will feel the difference, day and night. If the 426 doesn't outrun the stock one, stay away from it.

How much are they looking to get out of them?

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

They are actually on Ebay. The auction ends within the next day and the guy is fairly close to me. I was hoping to take a look at them prior to the end of the auction, but not sure if that will work out.

Current bid prices are:
2003= $1,625
1999= $2,025

Also, do you know if it would be practical to put a snow plow on one of them?

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate it. I know what I like in a quad, but I dont want to scare my wife to death and have her never want to go.

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I don't think a plow would work very good. I would say a 4wheel drive to plow.

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I was afraid of that. It seems that there is not one machine out there that is really good for everything. Apparrantely I need both a sport quad like the 400 EX and a larger 4x4 for hunting and to plow my drive way.

As for the 2 400EX's that we were discussing, what do you feel is a good price for the quads or do you have an opinion on the matter?

Also, what do you ride?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2006 | 06:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

A wolverine might meet your sport/ utility needs. There isn't many other models in the middle.
I have a 400ex that I ride in the woods. It is bored and stroked to a 440. I love that quad. I also have a 450r for the sand dunes. Love that one, too.

I would think 2,500 to 3 for the 99, and about the same on the newer one.

Old 05-22-2006 | 06:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I was able to get in touch with the guy who is selling the machines. He said that he would take $5,500 for both with a trailer. I booked the bikes out on NADA and it seems to be a pretty good deal.

Any other suggestions or comments? I sure appreciate all your help. You have been a huge help. If you want to see them, you can go to ebay and the item numbers are:

Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2006 | 06:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Try to get a test ride. If they feel good, and don't shake your teeth out, you should be good. Stand them on end and look at the bottom of the frame. If it is smashed flat you know, it is beat. If there is a dent or 2, no biggie. The other things to check would be the bushings on the a arms, and tie rods, etc.

Quick Reply: Need Help with ATV Purchase