Mud Bug by Maxxis. Any one tried them.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2000 | 03:14 PM
|
Pro Rider

In the february 2000 DirtWheels magazine on page 111 is a tire add for this Mud bug tire by maxxis. There web site to view it is on there web site also: www.maxxistires.com.
This tire looks very very good. Has any one bought any and decided how they are as a mud tire compared to the common vampires, claws, or mudrunners. I am interested in this tire, I think. They come in 26 or 27 inch.

Front tire is 26x10.0-12 lug is 1.2 rim size 7.0x12 psi is 7 tire weight 24.7

rear tire is 26x12.0-12 lug same rim size same psi same weight is 28.4 both are 6 ply.
and they have 27 inchers to.
Best looking tire, I have seen yet !!!

rangerchet polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Old 01-17-2000 | 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

My dad has the 27" Bugs on his 00'Big Bear and they are awesome. I took it out yesterday through the swamp and had no problems at all. Not sure how they compare to the Vamps as far as performance, but as far as looks, they look meaner than the Vamps. Hope this helps.

Chris 00' 400ex w/AC nerfs and bumper, WB Pro Meg system, Dyno jet kit, K&N Filter

Old 01-17-2000 | 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Look under "Drivetrain, Suspension and Tires" forum-there is a discussion going on there. They were also in an earlier magazine comparision of mud tires.

[This message has been edited by TxDoc2 (edited 01-17-2000).]

Old 01-17-2000 | 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Acually its under UTILITY ATV section (don't know why though...
In there I have some pics and my opinion on them

------------------
Brad

99'FOREMANes, 26" BUGS, Maier full chasis skid plate, A.P. bash plate and stick guards, winch, and soon to have a high performance kit! ohhYA...

Old 01-17-2000 | 05:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thank you gentlemen. I read them all. I am convinced. The 26 inch mud bug's will be on my polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed this spring. I can hardly wait. I got the phone no. I need to order the tires. I am waiting for my bonus check to pay for them. My dad wants to buy my tires any way as his old polaris 300 has them nobbie tires and he wants better tred for snowplowing with his atv and I want to eat mud! Looks like the mud
bug's eat mud ! thanks

rangerchet, year 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Ps: lets start a new phrase. Instead of saying vamped. When I get my tires, im going to say, "I AM BUGGED".....

[This message has been edited by rangerchet (edited 01-17-2000).]

Old 01-17-2000 | 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I recently talked to a guy that has both Vampires and MudBugs on two Y2K Magnum 500's.. (His and hers)
He said that the MudBugs were just as good as the Vampires, just without the weight.. He was running the narrower fronts on both.. All were 27's. I want a set.. but i'm not ready to explain to the g/f about the $350+ on the credit card.. So I'll wait...

Old 01-17-2000 | 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have seen, the Vamps are better in the real slopy mud. There was a 450s with 27" Mud Bugs that was stuck in thin mud up to the racks. The Foreman 400 with 26" Vamps and a lift kit pushed him outand still made it threw.

So, If you want the absolute best mud tires get the Vamps. If you want a damn good mud tire that rides better and puts less of a strain on your quad get the Mud Bugs.

Old 01-17-2000 | 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have bought and run Vampires for three years and have bought a set of 28"s just because no one else makes a 28". I have seen them run with no air in them due to the sidewall strength.
But, several companies have seen how well this design works and have copied it as close as possible without an attack by patent lawyers. There are several tires that are very good and you probably cannot tell the difference if you did not know what was on the bike. Driver skill is probably more important that which of these closely related tires you get.

Old 01-18-2000 | 11:37 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thank you again Gentlemen. I agree that they are all very similiar looking tires and probably equally good. I do think I want the lighter tire. The mud bug should be nearly as
good in the deep mud and because of the double lugs, the tire should still be ok on hard pack. Not all driving is in the mud as I
like to travel everywhere.

As far as driver skill. Im working on it. Last year was my first year. Sometimes I would come up to a deep looking mud hole on a logging road. I would stop and say to my self. Will this machine make it through. Then
I say to my self. Well, I bought an atv so if
im chicken then maybe I cant handle this machine. Then I drive through and say, well that was easy. I have a 2000lb. winch if im wrong. Whats hard, is that I am usually alone
and sometimes 10 miles deep in the woods. It would be a long walk out if I have trouble. I
decided last fall then, as it was a very wet year in minnesota, so there was mud everywhere; why not just make an improvement and give my machine a little more ability. I dont care about the speed, since I dont race.
I prefer to be deep in the woods and have to rely on myself. My dad has a polaris 300 94 model I think but he is too old to play like I do. My cousin owns a older model polaris 250 4x4 atv but he dont seem to want to use his machine like I do. My friend owns a kawasaki prairie 400 98 but he had a tripple bypass operation last year. He is healed up now but he keeps his machine super clean and just takes it for short stroles on his hunting land. I seem to be the only one that actually wants to go explore and get as far back as my atv will go. In the fall during grouse hunting season, I run into allot of atv's in the woods and of all brands. Any of us would help each other if we got stuck or broke down but we dont go on trips with each other. One of my brothers wants to buy an atv
if he can save up enough money. I dont know when that will be. There are about 110,000 registered atv owners in minnesota right now.

rangerchet, polaris xpedition 425cc 5 speed.