Need Some Pointers On Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:56 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Some Pointers On Shifting

Okay,in the next few days i am going to be testing some quads and i need some tips on how to shift.I have never done it but i know that you have to shift all the way down to get to first then up for the rest.do you have to hold the clutch while getting into first?mainly the atvs i will be testing are 400ex's.all the quads i've ever ridden before have been auto.Im sorry if this is a really stupid question for a new guy to this to be asking but i need your help,thank you.
-Morgan

Old 07-21-2006 | 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

not a stupid question at all...have you ever driven a manual car?

Old 07-21-2006 | 03:34 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Definately have to use the clutch to start off with. Otherwise you'd have to rev it up pretty good, pop it into first and hang on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Now upshifts, well, that depends on your style. To clutch or not to clutch, that is the question. Those shifts are easy with the clutch. Cause even if you don't have the clutch all the way in, it will shift, just remember to let of the gas or the motor will just take off because it's not under load and when you let the clutch out it won't be fun. I guess unless you're drunk and just told your buddies "Y'all watch this!"

I think the 400exes have some low end so they are foregiving. Rode a 450R that just doesn't like low RPM take offs. My Warrior is a tank and you pretty much have to just let the clutch out with some throttle. No throttle and you're on the starter.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-21-2006 | 05:25 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

MnFriesen,

yes,i have driven a manual car a few times.is it similar to that in a way?

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Similar to driving a manual in a car for the takeoffs, sure. It does take a little bit to master the clutch, but nothing excessively hard. Give it just a little gas first, then let the clutch out. Don't "dump" it(let it out all at once,) but rather let it out in one smooth motion. When you feel the clutch start to engage(the revs will drop a bit on the motor, and you may even feel it straining to begin to move) give it a little more throttle while continuing to let the clutch out. It really is less about how much throttle you give her than it is about how you let out the clutch. Let it out to slow and the engine is revving and you look silly, to fast and you will either stall, or pop a wheelie and stall, or just flip over, all depending on how much gas you gave it beforehand. Your best bet is to just let the clutch out slowly and steadily feed in more throttle at the same time. Do both things in a smooth motion, and have your right foot ready to stab the rear brake, just in case, lol. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

they have nailed it

Old 07-22-2006 | 01:18 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feedback guys,i followed what you said and with a little help from the guy i was trying it by,i stalled it twice then i was rollin' away.Oh,and I am now the pround owner of a 2005 Honda TRX400EX. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2006 | 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

My KFX, if i let the clutch out extremely slow, I can take off with out giving it any gas. If that helps in any way at all.

Old 07-22-2006 | 06:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally posted by: Morgana7x
Thanks for the feedback guys,i followed what you said and with a little help from the guy i was trying it by,i stalled it twice then i was rollin' away.Oh,and I am now the pround owner of a 2005 Honda TRX400EX. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Nice! Inside a week you'll be shifting like a pro.

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Rode a 450R that just doesn't like low RPM take offs. .
i know what you meen lol my freind stalled one 3 times then got pissed and gave it to much gas LOL fliped her right over LOL

Quick Reply: Need Some Pointers On Shifting