ATV SIZE LIMITATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV SIZE LIMITATIONS

most machines are designed with a specific use in mind. The heavier utes are in no way designed to be "Sport Utes". Their emphasis is more towards the utility aspect. This is where people need to decide what machine is best for their intended use. If their usage requires a 700 or even an 800 pound ATV, then they need to take that into consideration.

If the military purchases the MV from Polaris and a GI drives it under a tank and kills himself we can't blame the ATV. As I've mentioned before, ATV's are in no way dangerous until you add the "rider component".

I feel that manufacturers can build them as heavy as they want so long as they serve their intended purpose. Most states have weight restrictions to help preserve their trails because the heavier machines do tend to create more damage to the terrain. But this too can be impacted more from rider input vs. the machine itself.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LEP7MM
most machines are designed with a specific use in mind. The heavier utes are in no way designed to be "Sport Utes". Their emphasis is more towards the utility aspect. This is where people need to decide what machine is best for thier intended use. If their usage requires a 700 or even an 800 pound ATV, then they need to take that into consideration.

If the military purchases the MV from Polaris and a GI drives it under a tank and kills himself we can't blame the ATV. As I've mentioned before, ATV's are in no way dangerous until you add the "rider component".

I feel that manufacturers can build them as heavy as they want so long as they serve their intended purpose. Most states have weight restrictions to help preserve their trails because the heavier machines do tend to create more damage to the terrain. But this too can be impacted more from rider input vs. the machine itself.

Very well put.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At what point does an ATV get so heavy and huge, that it is just really a small truck without any roll cage??? How many of you would be willing to go off-roading in dicey terrain in a jeep with no roll cage or seat belts??? If one wants to go huge and heavy, I really think the Rhino is the sensible answer..........

Someone mentioned that folks think SPEED is the only safety issue. The worst accident I have witnessed happend when the quad was sitting almost still. Someone trying to make a hill, getting stopped, the the quad goes over backward.

Ever seen someone kick a loading ramp out from under them? No speed involved there. Not a pretty picture........

Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks squeege.

My point there was the MV weighs in at a hefty 1000 lbs if I remember right. Nothing more than a beefed up SP700.

As far as low speed accidents, a firend of mine was sitting still when he tried to dismount his SP500 and broke his leg. His foot didn't turn with the rest of his body. SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

How bout spring loaded training wheels that kick out if it senses a rollover....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I looked through the pictures of folks who responded to this and the "TV death" thread". Take a look yourself, and notice how very many of them have pics of riders with no helmets! LEP7, I see you are a safety instructor, so what you got to say about that?

Makes me wonder if all you have done here is select for respondents who don't really take safety very seriously to begin with???? What if guys who tend buy huge heavy quads, just happen to be the same guys who imagine that they are indestructible???

Food for thought.........

Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

It is freedom...We own land here in the good ole USA and if I wanna ride a heavy quad on that land with no helmit ...then so be it....I'll decide!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: reconranger
I looked through the pictures of folks who responded to this and the "TV death" thread". Take a look yourself, and notice how very many of them have pics of riders with no helmets! LEP7, I see you are a safety instructor, so what you got to say about that?

Makes me wonder if all you have done here is select for respondents who don't really take safety very seriously to begin with???? What if guys who tend buy huge heavy quads, just happen to be the same guys who imagine that they are indestructible???

Food for thought.........
I do wear a helmet, however I took it off for the photo's so that people could see my face. Otherwise I keep it on, unless I am plowing or hunting or just hauling the trailer around the yard.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

It is freedom...We own land here in the good ole USA and if I wanna ride a heavy quad on that land with no helmit ...then so be it....I'll decide!
You are right, it is your choice. But if you crush your skull riding with no helmet what does that prove? What does that tell the world about the ATV riding community? What does it say to your friends and family?

Whether we like it or not, we ATV riders are the ones who are responsible for what the outside world thinks of what we do. If we give them every chance to shut us down, don't kid yourself, they will!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a little info on what's up in PA as far as banning goes..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

This is from July 6th 2001

"Pennsylvania currently leads the nation in ATV sales and there are already an estimated 500,000 units in the state. These numbers did not occur overnight. There are approximately 2.4 million acres of forested land in the state yet there are only 188 miles of trails. These trails have not grown in the last 15 years and very little has been done to maintain them. Their poor initial design has also led to ongoing difficulties. It's no wonder that illegal ATV use has become a problem. ATVers don't want to ride everywhere they just want to ride somewhere. You do the math, 188 miles and 500,000 units just doesn't add up! Legal trails can easily be made that don't cross sensitive areas."

Since then people have been buying atv's here at such a rapid pace that the had to switch registration to every 2 years cause they couldn't keep up....

More recent news.....

July 1, 2003
RENDELL ADMINISTRATION ANNOUNCES MORE THAN $1.16 MILLION IN RECREATIONAL TRAIL GRANTS

March 26, 2004

RENDELL ADMINISTRATION ANNOUNCES $2.2 MILLION IN GRANTS FOR ATV, SNOWMOBILE OPPORTUNITIES
Acquisition of 6,000-acre parcel for multi-use, motorized recreation highlights ceremony

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:

Quick Reply: ATV SIZE LIMITATIONS