ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Other ATV Topics (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/)
-   -   ORV/ATV SAFETY CLASS? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/258759-orv-atv-safety-class.html)

dafuzz89 04-11-2007 11:09 PM

ORV/ATV SAFETY CLASS?

Well It seems that I have opened a hornets nest with the question of where to get my daughter trained. I personally feel that the mandatory class is BS. I have been riding all sorts of orv's for over thirty years and feel that my knowledge and experience is enough to pass on to my child but because of some irresponsible a-holes now I have to spend time and money to have someone else teach my kid what I can!

LEP7MM 04-11-2007 11:59 PM

ORV/ATV SAFETY CLASS?

dafuzz,

you may be an exception to the norm. The powers that be have no way to tell if parents have the skill set to pass onto their kids. As evidenced by the number of serious injuries and fatalities in the country every year, it shows that too many parents have no clue on what to teach their kids or even possess the skills to be safe operators themselves.

I've seen both sides of the spectrum within the last 2 weeks. First, there were 2 dads with their sons on the back of their machines (single rider machines) going from one side of the ditch to the other and eventually onto the road surface then jumping off a field approach with their kids also being airborn until the ATV touched down again. I turned around and stopped ahead of both machines to stop and have a discussion with both of them. They wanted nothing of it. In fact I'm not afraid to say that these guys were d!cks. Had I been an actual law enforcement person, they would have gotten the book thrown at them for the numerous infractions.

The second situation involved a 12 year old that I know personally. I stopped to talk to him and suggested that he head for home. Later that day, I went back out to his house to talk over the MN ATV laws with his parents. Both of which had no clue, but judging from the response from both parents, the father was acting like I got him in trouble with the wife as well, but she was very appreciative of what I did. So in this case, I would consider this a positive influence that saved the parents numerous tickets and some embarassment for the 12 year old.

I do commend you for your search of a training course for your daughter. Not enough parents care enough to even go that far.

wibornz 04-12-2007 09:02 AM

ORV/ATV SAFETY CLASS?

Not a hornetts nest.....You sparked a conversation. The exact reason for this forum. I became a safety instructor because I could not find a class so that my kids could be legal. After waiting for months for a spot to open, I said to my self, I should teach to help make the course more available. So I did.

It was a amazing what some of the kids and parents thought and did when thinking that they were experienced. There were also many kids that came to the class that did not need the class, their parents just wanted them to be legal on the trail.

deanz400 04-12-2007 01:47 PM

ORV/ATV SAFETY CLASS?

Well agree no matter what you teach them if the parents don't enforce it ,it can become null and void ,
I have to find a new place to teach ,the place I did ,said he doesn't want me there any more ,local Yamaha dealer .didn't understand that ,but It's his land .