Bug Guts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001 | 06:04 AM
|
Pro Rider

This is just to see what everyone uses to clean there bikes with, what works great for pipes, fenders, seats ect.. I havent found a easy method for removing those baked on bug guts off the the front of my bike, anyone got any ideas other than the ol' soap an elbow grease method? Also, does anyone know a good way to take scrapes out of your plastic? (like when you take a small gouge out of your plastic when you argue with a tree)

I only use dish-soap on my bike, keep it clean and it usually isnt to bad, miss a wash and it will take me hours I also use brake fluid on my stock pipes 2 times a year seems to work alright, careful with it though, it will eat paint, clothes, ect.

Old 02-01-2001 | 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Good way to get the bug guts off is prevention. Before I ride I spray the quad down with a cooking spray. I also heard Armor All works very well too. By doing so makes the clean up afterwards much much easier.

Old 02-01-2001 | 08:30 PM
Range Rover

Howdy,
competitionaccessories.com has a listing for a scratch remover called Plastic Renew for $15.99 and says one 8 oz. kit gives multiple applications. I have also seen this stuff at a local dealer but, I have never tried it myself. as far as bugs and mud I seen years ago in a readers hints thing in a magazine to use something like 409 or fantastic on your plastic after you wash it and it dries. they said to just spray it on and let it dry and the next time you wash everything will come of easyer. I tried it on my old Honda 250R, just on the underside of the fenders and I guess it helped some, but we were riding in some realy greasy red clay. I don't know why but I just never tried it again think I will next time I take out the LT though. hope I helped.
Danno

Old 02-02-2001 | 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

If you want to get the bugs off use gasoline. Pour some gas on a rag (not the bike) then wipe the bug filled area. after removing the bugs you will want to wash the area down with soap and water. I have found this works the best for removing dried on bugs.
For the fenders I use an vynal/plastic protectant like armor-all, STP after I have washed the bike. Don't put it on the seat. It makes it too slick!!
For the frame area I spray WD-40. What you will notice that the WD-40 will also attract more dirt but when it comes to washing it will clean up easier.
Now if you want to shine the natural colored metal parts up like your aluminum rims. I use simichrome.

Old 02-02-2001 | 12:10 PM
Range Rover

Believe it or not, Mop n Glo works wonders on your plastic. It makes it look like brand new.

Old 02-10-2001 | 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Either automotive type Bug & Tar Remover or WD-40 for the bug guts.
I just tried Meguires Cleaner and wax on some light scratches on the Scrambler, and it worked great.

Old 02-14-2001 | 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

I use Dow bathroom cleaner it takes bugs, grease, and pitch off. Also makes it smooth and shine.

Matt