Air filter oil experiences!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air filter oil experiences!

For years I used Maxima FFT, Maxima spray, or PJ1 super tacky filter oils. While these were great at stopping dirt, they also were so dense that the dirt would form a nasty goo on the surface of the filter, and obviously impede the flow of air. Plus, the oil was so thick that it was difficult to get them cleaned.

So, I decided to try UNI Filter Oil (they build the filters, so they must know what they are doing!). It is lighter than the above mentioned products, but thicker and more "tacky" than plain old engine oil (which will just get sucked through a filter, leaving it dry).

I am liking this product, however there is a lot of "drain down" if you oil a filter up and install it immediately, and you end up with a messy airbox and probably suck oil into the carb......

So, my solution is to oil the filter up way ahead of time, put it in a plastic ziplock bag with some paper towels in the bottom to soak up the excess oil, and let it sit for at least a few days in a warm place (while gravity does its work draining down the excess) before installing on the machine. I have three filters for each machine: One on the bike, one in the wash, and one clean and oiled up and ready to go.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup that is what I do too......... I have a Twin Air, and a Uni filter that I rotate....... but I still HATE that sticky goo......

I'm really contemplating getting one of those oil free filters from Motoworks. They claim to be able to filter down to even finer than an oiled filter.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use K&N filter oil on my UNI filter, it soaks in really well and keeps the filter tacky. the down side, no matter how long i let it sit in a plastic bag once it put it on the mechine it will drip some oil in the airbox. but dose not go threw the second layer of the UNI filter. Idk what the best compromise in filter oils is