Whats ur favorite utility atv

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, CanAm, ArcticCat, and Polaris (did I get them all) all have a way of fully locking the front end. Honda only has a limited slip in the front. I've been in enough mudholes where I barely made it through to say I, personally, wouldn't want anything short of full 4wd. CanAm and Polaris use a similar system that turns the front wheels when in 4wd and when it senses a difference in rotational speed between the rears and the front tires. Having both I feel the Polaris system engages a little better. Not sure if CanAm improved it for 2010 or not but it seems to progressively engage rather than kick right in. The others lock the front end with either a button push or a lever in the case of the Kawasaki. I didn't include the Kawasaki in the original list because they have a 360, 650, and 750 in the Brute Force, but no 500 class. I think every manufacturer makes a 500 class quad with power steering now. I haven't used one personally but the people I've met with them love them and say they wouldn't go back.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honda makes an automatic too. i recommend the following for you: Honda rubicon 500, suzuki 500, grizzly 550, polaris 550, and can am 500, even though i dont like polaris and can ams.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too would recommend a 500-550, unless you get a Honda. They're so underpowered you need about 150 more cc to get the same HP. I like Sportsmans but would also look at the Grizzly. Everyone I ride with owns Polaris or Yamaha so I don't know much about the others.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would look at the 500 Foreman or Rubicon. IMO, that is the best utility bike Honda has. We have a 2005 Rubicon with about 8600 miles and 1100 hours and I love the machine. I would buy another in a heartbeat. We had to replace a few things here and there, bearings, starter, battery, typical wear stuff. It does need a new timing chain, kind of disappointed in that but we use it everyday and occasionally pull heavy loads with it. Shutting it on and off alot might not help out either.

As far as Honda being underpowered compared to others, I don't think so. Our Rubicon has done everything we asked it to do and more. We have pulled small loads of hay with it with no problems. As far as speed goes, how fast do you really want to go? We have had our Rubicon up to 60 before. Do you really need to go much faster than that? What is all this talk about Honda not being true 4wd? Every time I have used 4wd, all four wheels would be spinning. Of course, I don't do much rock crawling where it would be a concern. But if a wheel does slip, all you have to do is hit the front brake lever.

How many bells and whistles do you really need? IMO, power steering is getting a little too much. They are getting to much electronic crap on them. Just something else to go wrong.

I do wish Honda made the Rubicon EFI. I don't understand why they don't. Everything around it is.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe someone can help me. i was riding my kawasaki prairie 650 a few weeks ago and it was running fine when i parked it. i came out the next day to ride and it wuldnt start. the pull starter was really hard to pull then the motor seemed to have no compression, i was doing some top speed check so culd this be a timing chain problem?, and how much for the cost?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

ALso ive seen alot of Polaris Sportsmans for sell.. is there a reason? is something wrong with them? thanks

Lots of sportsman's because they came out in 1996 and still being built to this day and they out sold every utility through those 15 years.

I see them in the back of trucks and trailer more then any other model up here.

The most important thing in a utility ATV is decent power, true awd, IRS and a low range.

Polaris had selectable 2wd/awd and IRS in 96. Honda did not have selectable 2wd/3wd until 2003 and is still the last to have no true 4wd system to this day.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

IRS is not the way to go in a utility atv.Sags under load.Same reason pickup trucks don't have it. Honda's torque sensing front differential works fine.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Honda's torque sensing front differential works fine.
I ride with a 500 forman,680 Rincon and 420 Rancher and see them do the 3wd thing more than enough times. Its the one of the reason the Honda come in last in this 500 4x4 shootout comparison. http://www.world-of-atvs.com/4x4-atvs.html

Go to a Hardcore 4x4 mud forum like Highlifter and most all the Honda guys add a aftermarket diff locker to there Hondas. Why spend $400 on a locker if they do not need it or sell them?

http://www.psep.biz/store/honda_atv_gearless_locker.htm

Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

The OP never mentioned hardcore mudding.General all around use is what he mentioned. No need to spend 400.00 if you don't have to.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
The OP never mentioned hardcore mudding.General all around use is what he mentioned. No need to spend 400.00 if you don't have to.
You also do not have to spend $400 for diff lockers if the ATV just comes with it in the first place right from the showroom floor. Whether you use diff lock or not should be just a touch of a button.

Its not like Honda gives you a price break for not having the option.

Quick Reply: Whats ur favorite utility atv