Change in Minnesota Law

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The law in Minnesota concerning passengers on ATVs has been changed. This article was taken from the Star Tribune on July 1, 2001.

ATV riders allowed! Another measure that received almost no attention but was approved by legislators is one that will allow a parent or guardian to carry a passenger under 16 on an all-terrain-vehicle [ATV], even if the ATV isn't designed to carry two people. The child must wear a helmet. Many adults now carry children on the machines illegally, and some have received citations. The DNR strongly opposed the idea, arguing that a driver often must shift weight and position on a machine to safely control it, and that maneuver can be difficult with a passenger. Even manufacturers warn against carrying passengers on the machines, the DNR argued. "Our accident statistics don't support that it's a real safe thing to do," said Bill Bernhjelm, head of DNR's enforcement division.

This is a change in Law that should be of interest to parents in Minnesota that would like to bring their kids with them. To get involved and learn about riding safely at a young age is a benefit to our kids and the future of our sport. Take heed though, the DNR is against it so be careful and show them we can make it work!

Old 07-16-2001, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I too heard this last night from a very reliable source from ATVAM. Another thing that has changed is that now anyone from the age of 12 on up can be certified on machines larger than 90cc as long as they can sit in an upright position with their feet flat on the floorboards or pegs and be able to reach the handle bars.

This is a major victory for atv riders in MN. THANKS ATVAM.

Old 07-16-2001, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Trailboss450, That is really good news. My wife and kids are coming with me up to Beaver Bay this weekend. We've been stopped before by DNR and our passinger kids. I always thought it was a little safer to have our kids riding on the back, then to have them riding little quads....especially on busy trails.

That other thing about certification on larger ATV's is also good. 90's may stay small but kids over 12 seem to grow quick. The kids over 12 on 90's just don't seem to take them very serious, thus seem to get hurt or break'em.

Anyway I hope the article is on their web-site. The recycle man has come and gone already.

Take Care

Old 07-16-2001, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

I appreciate these changes for many reasons, but one in particular is because my 11 yr old hits his knees on the handle bars of his Scrambler 90. How can this be safe riding a machine that is obviously too small for someone of his stature compared to riding a machine that is larger and doesn't create any obstructions to movement? It's about time things start to change for the better and hopefully many states will follow suit. The biggest challenge is to get the CPSC to change their age restrictions. But in time, this will happen.