How to get 2 full size ATV's in a pick-up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 09:05 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to design a way to carry my 00 SP 500 and my sons Warrior on the back of my Lg bed F250 and still be able to tow the camper behind the truck. The Safe-T-Load system does this at the tune of over $1000. I have the racks figured out I also have the ramps figured out (6" channel alumanium), however coma any ideas how to connect the ramps to the racks and still maintain the strength of the metal is causing me some headaches. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Kuntry
00 SP 500
ETC.....

Old 02-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Take a look at www.atvpickupcaddy.com, and check out their mounting method. It is a door hinge-like solution, with a aluminum tube that has the center cut out, and welded to the ramp, and the two outer remaining pieces weleded to the rack. The you slip a solid aluminum bar through the tube, with some pins clipped in holes drilled in the end of the solid bar to retain the solid bar within the aluminum tube.

Old 02-04-2002, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen people put the smaller bike up front in the wheelie position facing up in the air (make sure you turn off the gas) then put the bigger one directly behind it in the regular position. I think they tied the handlebars down so they wouldn't move.
NOTE: I have never tried this but I have seen it and it worked effectively.
Just my .02

Old 02-04-2002, 06:50 AM
Range Rover

Yeah that would work but
I am considering getting rid of thhe warrior so I can get the wife something for trail or give her the 00 Sportsman and get me the 700.
In that situation there would be no small quad.

Kuntry
00 SP 500
ETC......

Old 02-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

i had the same problem with my truck while pulling a camper. i should have took pics of it, but i will try to explain it the best i can.
i took fence tubing and put it in the 4 holes of the bed, bolting them in tight. made a walmanized wood platform using 2x4 and 1/2 in plywood. made the platform 1 in smaller than the dementions of the poles after they were bolted in. the poles were 4 inchs taller than the height of the biggest quads handlebars.
drilled 2 inch holes in one side of the platform and then slid the 1 7/8 in fencing tubing through the holes in the platform. reinforced the 2x4 where the holes are drilled through with some aluminum plates. i then bolted the fencing going through the platform to the 2 front poles coming out of the bed.
drilled 2 holes in the front of the platform to slide 1 more piece of fencing through the holes.
i ran a cable from the platform to the bed of the truck where i mounted a boat wench. i used small pullies to the 4 corners of the platform to run the cable through. i drilled small holes in the back pole going through the platform and installed pull pins.
when i wanted to load the quads, i pulled the rear fence pole out, and wenched down the rear of the platform,. i then hooked the wench up to the quad, (warrior for me) and wenched it up the platform till it was at the top. i tied it down, then transferred the wench to the platform where i wenched the platform up into place and slid in the pole. i then rolled the lower quad up the bed into place and tied it down.
i know it sound like alot of work, but it only took me 4 hours to do, at a cost of under $60.00 dollars. it sat no higher than my camper, so height wasn,t an issue. it never swayed, and could handle a ride around corners at 65 like it wasn't there. total mounting or unmounting time was under 5 minutes to get them in.
if you are more interested in seeing how i did it, then email me and i would be glad to send you a drawing of it, couse it really is pritty easy to do.

my pictures

Old 02-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

mich660griz,

Anyway you can snap a couple of pictures of your set up? I was considering going across the the bed of the truck but this souds pretty good too. The other day the wife asked if I could rig up something like the have for garages, you know to stack cars. I said naw it won't work. Now with you saying you have already done she is laughing at me.
What would be the heaviest you would go with the quad on top. Better yet would you put your griz on top? Thanks for the info.

Kuntry

00 SP 500
ETC...........

Old 02-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

hey kuntry,
I would love to snap a couple of pics for ya, but i took it down when i put my camper on a perminent site up north.
what i can do is put it all on paper and scan it into the puter, then email it to you if i can get your email add.
as for weight. the most weight i ever put on it was my large gocart witch weights 500 lbs. when i ran the truck down the road i never go above 65 while towing the camper, so it seemed to hold just fine. i would antisipate that if you stacked a grizzly on bottom, then put a warrior on top, you would reach a height of about 12 ft.
i can tell ya that it would of held a house the way i set it up. 4 fence polls standing streight up out from the rails of a truck only reachs up around 55 inchs from the bottom of the bed to get the second level on it, so it is not able to sway at all. the streinth of 4 fence rails is tremendous to say the least. it does make the truck sway a little more than usuial, but the weight of the camper solves that.
if you can give me 2 days, i will have it all on paper, including the material i used, so you can see how easy it was to do, and how well it would work.
i would put the grizzly on top, as long as i didn't exceed the height of the camper i have, bout 12 1/2 foot tall.
the beauty of the hole setup is, when i didn't need it, all i had to due is pull out 8 pull pins, and take the thing down 1 piece at a time, witch only took me bout 5 minutes, without trying real hard.
i will put it all on paper, explaining it to the best of my ability. i am a carpinder, so i have basic skills on how to make things, witch is all you would need.

my pictures

Old 02-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

hey kuntry,
i did the best i could to put it down on paper in drawings, lol. i have to tell ya, i am NO artest, heehee. i tried to show ya that it wasn't that hard to do, and did not cost too much. i allready had a small rope fed wench, so i used it. i would however, if you do it, try to find a better place to mount the wench. as i was putting it on paper, i realized, for the first itme, lol, that it would have been much easier to mount the wench to the front bars, witch would have been easier to reach once the platform is lowered. i do beleave in this design though, couse it worked so good for me. if you do someday deside to try it, let me know if there is anything i could do to try to help out. if you dont think it would work, then go buy 2 10 ft 2 1/4 in fence posts for $10.00 and cut them to see how they would fit into the rail holes. then try to bend them or move them, you will see the streinth in it then. good luck with what you deside, and go into my pictures under stacking quads to see what i tried to show ya!

my pictures

Old 02-07-2002, 07:22 PM
Range Rover

mich660griz,
Thanks for taking the time to uh draw? the diagrams. Actually they wern't that bad. But I do have some questions for you,
How well does that post fit into the bed stake holes and how do you bolt them in without drilling into the bed? To put the rear platform poles in the verticle brackets do you install the platform pole or do you work it around the brackets.

Thanks again for the Diagrams.

Kuntry
SP 500
ETC...........

Old 02-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

hey kuntry,
well, to cut to the chace, i drilled holes in the side walls where the poles went through , then i used lag bolts ot secure the poles in place. as for the poles fitting, i had to slightly ovel mine to get them in, and i used small washers inside the holes to level the poles out. i only oveled the poles where they had to be, just to clear into the bed side wall holes. i would use a vice to oblong them.
as for the poles. i cranked up the platform, then slit the pole through so it would cradle in the brkts. 2 holes through the poles and brkts, and slide in the puchpins. i used the solid sleeve pushpins with the little steel ballbearing at the end, drilled the holes to the right size, and they kind of popped in. 1 quick pull, and the pins came out. they NEVER fell out while riding though. i bought all the supplies i needed at home depow.
i hope i understood what you were asking, and if that wasn't it. i will try again. as for the rear pole, it should go through the platforms wood, and slide across the brackets mounted to the rear poles. the platform should NOT rest on the rear pole, but go through it.

my pictures

Quick Reply: How to get 2 full size ATV's in a pick-up?