Getting Virus from videos

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 12:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i go to a site to watch a video. MX video, 4wheelin video, anything. can i get a virus from just watching it and not downloading it? what if i go into my cookies and save the video to a disk and watch it later. can i get a virus though that? if so. how do i scan for viruses before i watch it?

Old 08-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

your pretty paranoid of getting a virus aren't you? well don't be. as long as your watchin a video on a reputable site you probably won't get one. just don't open any strange looking e-mails with attatchments.

Old 08-17-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you own a computer,you should be spending a little cash on a good anti-virus software. McAffe or Norton makes a real good one,free updates off the web,the new ones will even catch incoming email viruses and provide firewall protection to prevent hacking and active virus download attacks. The videos you watch should be safe,you can always set up a file in your drive to temp store the video file,then scan it before playing it back. I lost my first PC to an email virus that copycatted other peoples email address,so I lost my entire hard drive,believe me,everything even slightly suspisious gets scanned or dumped now. About 29-35 bucks will get you a great protection package, mine has saved my new PC many times,well worth the small cost.

Old 09-06-2002, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

dont be scared a virus from a download can almost always be fixed.like 95wolv said spend some money on some anti virus and firwall programs.if your scared to use your computer then why would you have one.right.have fun man and wach those vidios,the clean ones that is.

Old 09-07-2002, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

lol I thought he was talking about watching **** movies! really though get some good virus software , with all the newest script viruses out there and these crappy webmasters viruses spread really easy! Also if you are running windows make sure you go and update windows, there are always security updates for Internet explorer and mediaplayer and everything else that has to do with winblows! If you need some help with getting your pc rock solid, drop me a email. I build pc's so I know these things.