Toy Transport Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Transport Question

I own an 02 Grizzly and an 02 Kodiak. I would like to buy an enclosed trailer that can haul both quads.

Does anyone have a brand of trailer that they would recommend?

How do you keep the Quads from rolling around inside during transport is there some sort of tie-down system I should look into?

Can I reasonably expect to be able to put both quads side by side or will they need to go end to end?

Can I go this for $2000? $3000?

I would love to be able to haul my quads and all of my camping gear in the trailer. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Old 12-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 16' (floor space NOT total trailer length) Pace American CargoSport. It is 8' wide, so the bikes fit in sideways (but you do have to lift them over the wheelwells). I got a bunch of tiedown anchors (they fit flush to the floor when not in use) from the dealer. I can get 3 full size bikes in (sideways) plus the two kids bikes (side by side facing front to back), for a total of 5 bikes. I insulated the roof, which helps out here durnig the hot summers.

With only 2 bikes, you could get by with a 12' length, and have lots of room for gear. But, be sure to go 8" wide, so the bikes can go sideways!

Old 12-18-2002, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

www.aluminumtrailer.com (the best I've found...period)

I've towed trailers (toy boxes, flats, bumper pulls and goosenecks) for over twenty years.

Most steel framed trailers today are lacking in the quality department. 3-5 year life with any contact with winter roads and salt. Considered throw aways.

Hydraulic surge brakes or electric over hydraulic, preferably disc. Smooth and very little maintenance. Electric brakes suck and are outdated. Nothing looks more crappy than a new truck with a friggin brake controller hanging somewhere, always in the way. Someday the truck engineers will realize this a incorporate a tow vehicle brake system into their new truck designs. Are you listening Detroit.

A side door is a must have item. Preferably same side as your tow vehicles fuel cap. Or order it with fuel access doors, same side as your vehicle fuel cap.

Roof vent definately. Allows heat to escape during storage (don't want the toys to suffer).

Removable ramps rattle during transit and are a pain. Built in or ramp doors are better but usually cost more$$$. Ramp on enclosed trailer is the only way to go. Really is nice when you are helping the buddy move out of his house, due to many toys and spouse conflicts.

Extra interior lights. The standard 1ea dome light is not enough, 2 minimum, three better. Exterior load lights are nice, but not needed.

DOT sealed tail lights (LEDS are nice, bright and $$$). Two per each side is better. Ever burn out a brake/tail/turn light? The additional light per side will get you home safely. Or carry spares.

Two ATV's equals two axled trailers. One ATV equals single. Two axle trailer equals room for the buddy's ATV. Minimum 7x14 for end to end transport or 102" X 10' for side by side. Wide trailers require towing mirrors (do not tow without being able to see behind you). A 7x14 can usually be towed with standard mirrors.

Two axles pull straighter. Narrow, low profile, v-nose trailers slip thru the wind better.

Only color for me is white. Looks nice behind any truck and reflects heat.

An all aluminum trailer will cost 25% more and weigh up to 50% less. Better long term value (considering eventual resale and longevity).

email me for additional input.

I just ordered a new all aluminum (including floor and ramp, no wood in the floor). My last trailer purchase.

-------------------------
2002 Rubicon, 2000 Valkyrie Tourer, 2002 BMW 650GS Dakar, 1992 ARGO 6X6, 2002 Dodge 1500 Quadcab 4x4, 7x14 enclosed Aluminum Trailer brand toy box (too many toys, not enough time)
Retired USAF SMSgt (2W271 & 2A790)

Old 12-24-2002, 06:06 AM
Range Rover

Driver: So what did you order for your "Last" Trailer? I've been looking for several years for the best way to have my toys and camp too. Right now I have a 1 ton dually with a slide in camper. I pull Quads/ Motorcycles on a open car type trailer. I have been looking at 5th wheel toy haulers, or enclosed pull behind. A friend of mine sells Pace and Haulmark.How big would you have to go to get 2 bikes and 2 quads in ? The Aluminum trailers looked GREAT, but the cost seemed more than 25% than what you said. Whatever I buy now will have to last for a long time.

Old 12-26-2002, 02:16 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Toy Hauler. I bought the 04 FB2200 by Weekend Warrior. You can easily fit 2 quads and 2 bikes inside and have a very nice camping space once you unload. They aren't the cheapest trailer but they are second to none in quality. 36 gallon gas tank w/ pump station for the toys, gen., 120 gallons of water, full bath, I can desert camp for a very long time and be very comfortable the whole time!!

Old 01-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Look at Featherlite trailers. I own a trucking company and have a lot of experience with trailers I have found none better. I have owned two a 8x24 two axle and a 8.5x24 three axle double stacker and have never had a problem.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

I've had good luck with Featherlight, Pace, and Haulmark. There is a big difference in brake controllers for electric brakes. The only 2 controllers I would ever buy are the Jordan and the Prodigy. The Jordan is totally different than any other brake controller on the market.