Alarm or Locks to prevent ATV Theft

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2000, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride in Mexico and frequently visit restaurants and bars for a few "cervezas."

I am looking for an alarm system that I can hook up to my Banshee, my son's Blaster and my wife's Sport 400.

The Sport is the only one with a 12v battery, but I have no problem putting a charged cell phone battery on my Banshee and Blaster to support an alarm. This could support any alarm that I install.

Any advice? I have seen the disc brake alarm/locks but they are kinda expensive. Certainly there is something out there. I am not looking to "kill" the ignition when the alarm sets off, just make some noise via a motion sensor. I will then run out an hope to beat the hell outa whoever is fu*$&ng with my ATV. How about it? Help!!!

Also, I prefer some type of motion alarm versus shock sensing since somebody could pick the ATV up and walk away with it without setting off any type of shock sensor. A motion sensor would go off in this scenario.

My Banshee was stolen once, so a kill switch doesn't seem to help.

If this doesn't work, any good locks out there?

Old 04-10-2000, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Check the JC Whitney motorcycle catalog. They sell motorcycle alarms that mount to the frame. They work on ATVs as well. You will need some sort of battery though. I would suggest an Alarm and a lock of some sort.

Old 04-10-2000, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have tried several of the alarms in JC Whitney, but they are too bulky or expensive. Also, they only come with shock sensors and I really need some type of motion sensor alarm so the ATV cannot be picked up and carried away. A shock sensor will not work in this type of scenario.

Any other thoughts out there?

How about some type of home-made system or lock/alarm combo?

Old 04-10-2000, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

galvanized chain and a big master lock and chain the 3 of them together.bolt cutters wont cut either

Old 04-10-2000, 09:39 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

You should be able to wire a motion sensor from radio shack into the wiring harness of any shock alarm. Cheaper than a motion sensor would be a mercury switch, they come in differant sensitivities and can allso be wired in. I have a motorcycle that I built an alarm for. If you can follow this: from positive side of a battery...wire...inline fuse...toggle switch (alarm on/off)...siren/horn...mercury switch...wire to ground on frame. Whole thing cost me about $20. works every time. I haven't put one on my quad, but now you have me thinking about doing just that. I have my weekend project.

Bruce L. Hall
99 Sport 400

Old 04-10-2000, 09:39 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

oops

Old 04-10-2000, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

If you drink and ride maybe someone should steal it.This way you wont hurt someone else or kill your self.What you do is none of my concern.this is just my opinion.....
BOB

Old 04-11-2000, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

Sometimes we load ours up the night before and leave them sitting out side so we can leave real early in the morning. For each quad we bought a personal alarm (about$15 at Target/Walmart). You are suposed to wear them on like your belt incase some one attakes you but they allso have two little wires that stick out the side and when the connection between them is broken a real loud alarm goes off. The box is 2x2x3/4 and we stick the wires under a tire and if sombody lifts it up the wires loose contact with each other and it goes off. I has gone off once on accident though ooops. But at least we found out it was loud enough to wake us up with it outside the bedroom window. We also use a big cable incase sombody where to figure it out.