The Nature of the Game Has Changed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Nature of the Game Has Changed!!!

The Raptor vs Z400 vs Predator shootout has sparked a new round of controversy. Here is my take on the state of things in the industry:

"Use to be that you could just put a bigger engine in any machine and expect it to be considered the latest and greatest. The state of the art has passed that point now!! Manufacturers can't just keep throwing in bigger motors, and expect everybody to automatically bow down and worship their machine. All the performance bikes now have a REASONABLE amount of power (and you can hop that up to infinity any time you want). THE BOTTOM LINE HAS NOW SHIFTED FROM HORESEPOWER TO HANDLING!! With their resources and money, there is no excuse for any manufacturer to deliver a bike with handling that isn't 99% perfect!!!!" (from a post I did in the Suzuki forum)

All the bikes have some sort of small flaws: 400EX-underpowered; Z400-a bit underpowered; Raptor-narrow and a bit top heavy; DS-WAY to big and heavy, etc.----you can make a list for any bike there is, because none of them is perfect (<u>but they all should be</u>!!!). In the end for me, I had to decide which bike I was willing to accept PRIMARILY BASED ON THE NATURE OF ITS FLAWS, AND HOW EASILY THEY COULD BE REMEDIED by the aftermarket. The Z's flaws are in the power department, not in the handling department, and I found that to be the best compromise for me. I can do a Yoshi 450 kit and get 50 horsepower from a bike that already handles great. The solution is simple. It just takes $$$$.

IN CHOSING A RIDE, YOU HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO LIVE WITH, AND HOW EASILY YOU CAN FIX WHAT YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO LIVE WITH!! IN THRUTH THOUGH, WE CAN ALL PROBABLY KILL OURSELVES JUST FINE ON A 400EX!!!!

Old 01-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Nature of the Game Has Changed!!!

I`ll agree 100%. The lines between sport and utility are blending closer together every year. Which is what a lot of people want. The new 4 stroke sport machines produced now satisfy more of that type of rider stock now than what was available 4 or 5 years ago.

And you are right the posibilities are as endless as your money and desires with the after market today.