shipping atv trailers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shipping atv trailers

looking for a good freight co., that is reasonably priced, to ship trailers from east texas to anywhere in the USA. Some the freight co.'s want $1800.00 to ship across the USA. Its hard to sell a $500.00 trailer when the freight is so high. Any ideas would be appreciated. By the way I checked on Yellow Freight,FFE and FEDEX and all were too high. Going out of business unless I find a good shipper.

Old 02-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Why are you wanting to ship a $500 trailer, when there are a slew of them in every two-bit town?

Why don't you go to www.aluminumproducts.com, or www.harborfreight.com, and find out how they ship their trailers. Even pretending to be a customer up to the point at which you have to actually buy, might lend some information. Of the unassembled trailers I've actually seen shipped, they were broken down and boxed in two or three boxes that would meet UPS size requirements.

If your limited to shipping the assembled trailer, I think you've got a real challenge. Most of the assembled trailers are shipped in quantity to dealers who are buying an entire truck load.

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

what kind of trailers are you selling for 500??

Old 02-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think it would be hard to ship a trailer cross country & make any money. There are hundreds of trailer manufacturers all over the U.S. They tend to market to their own geographic area, shipping costs is probably a reason for that.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

True....there are alot of trailer co. in the USA....but not alot of atv offroad trailers ...which is what I am selling...its just a small trailer that one can pull behind a 4 wheeler. So that why I was looking for a good freight company that will deliver freight at a reasonable price.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

I've been in the trucking business for a few years. Are you shipping a few trailers to dealers? Or are you going to ship one trailer direct to the buyer. Freight charges are expensive for a reason, it costs a lot to own trucks/ trailers, pay drivers, buy fuel, insurance.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

nthewind.....right now I am just shipping to custom buyers so that is why it is so expensive...I realize that truckers have lots of costs also....just looking for that would haul from the east texas area at a reasonable rate.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

There is a company that builds a small trailer that pulls behind a motorcycle called Bushtec. (I have one). I think they can ship direct to customers.(I bought mine at a Bike Rally) You might check out how they do it. Bushtec Their trailers cost a lot more than $500.00 so a guy might not mind paying $150.00 frieght on a trailer that cost him $4000.00 (thats right, thats what they cost!) You might try a truck broker. Another option might be a van lines like North American Van Lines. You would most likely be shipping LTL, instead of truckload.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Conoeman23:

Sorry, I misunderstood the type of trailer. There are not very many manufacturers of the type that pulls behind the atv. I have been looking. I actually bought one last year that I took back to the dealer, it was a "Rubbermaid" product, I took it back the next day, not quite strong enough for what I had in mind.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

What size is the trailer? Can it stand on end on a standard size 40" x 48" pallet? Some LTL carriers have special pallet rates that can be applied. For example, I was (am) using a local carrier to me in MA and shipping one and two pallet loads to CA for ~$180. If it can stand on end, or the tongue is removable is there a way to make the pallet stackable? Try to minimize the cube, keep it constrained to a pallet, and even finding a way to make it stackable will help.

I am not sure if Old Dominion operates in TX but they seem to have good pallet rates. www.odfl.com

Quick Reply: shipping atv trailers