Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

snowmobile powerd golf cart

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snowmobile powerd golf cart

Hey everyone i have an old 70's golfcart that iam currently planning on putting a 440 snowmobile double or somthing to that effect. also i plan on putting some huge shocks on it of off road sand ridding. now i dont know too much about golf carts but i want to swith the front suspension to a single a-arm design with anout 12'' of travel was thinking ds shocks, and in the rear allot of suspension any ideas for that? also if anyone has a snowmobile engine they want to trade or sell i got the most stuff anyone would ever need. so just reply. I looked at the engine its a dual start engine: ie it runs both forward and backwards. now it has a tranny that i want to connect to and it uses the same belt/clutch that most snowmobiles run so will this work? i want this thing to rip even if it has a top speed of 40-50 thats ok. give me some input

Old 06-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

One problem with what your doing is the reduction in the transmition/rearend. The engine in the cart now is running 0deg timing in order to run forward and reverse. Imagine how that engine could perform if the advance was set to say, 20deg? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Still nothing close to what you'd want for a little "golfbuggy" I don't know the rpm of your engine but it's close to 3000-4000 I would guess. A good liquid cooled sled motor (440 kawasaki invader comes to mind) can pull 6000-8000rpm. Twice what your motor does. So if your cart is doing 15mph@3000rpm. That's 30mph@6000rpm. So a sled motor would be screamin' all the time. You'd only get 30-40mph out of it. Imagine the torque though. Now adjust for bigger tires maybe 35-45. I am starting a mini-indy project that will use alot of goldcart parts but knowing how golfcart drivetrains are I can't use one. I'm going to use the original jackshaft and gearcase from the snowmobile I'm getting the motor from (440 invader, imagine that). The drive shaft that turned the track will be shottened and carry a sprocket to drive an axle. The aditional 3:1 reduction in the sled's gearcase will allow me to use a smaller sprocket on the axle to get a bit more ground clearence. Actually. I was just thinking about something. I built a Geo Metro into electric. It has a very small transmition and driveshafts. How about making an adaptor to mount a geo flywheel to a sled motor? Then all you need is the adaptor plate to get the motor on the trans. I built all of these for under $125 when I put the electric motor in the car. It's not as hard as you think. Not to shoot your golfcart idea down but the drivetrain is going to be your biggest obsticle.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

Well really im not worried about the drive train because it was one of the old two stroke models and it topped out at about 30mph, also they run a very small tire stock on the cart i have some 22in tires im going to mount on that so with the larger wheels and the bigger engine i think it will work anyway i just want to to cruse it i dont want a drag racer so im shooting for about 55mph

Old 06-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

If it's already doing 30 then 55 should be no problem. Good luck on the project and let me know how it all works out.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm using a 94 EZ GO gas cart with a shifter rear end it has forward and reverse, the engine is a Yamaha 433 snowmobile engine. I biult the motor mount and now trying to figure out how to wire the thing. I'm alot better at welding and fabricating than electrical. anyone have any ideas???????

Old 05-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry man I have a marathon ezgo with a snowmobile motor in it and there is no way that was running 30-50 with the stock 2 stroke motor. I am just hitting 75mph at 8700rpms. with a zr500 motor and there is no way it can run that fast on a stock clutch. The stock clutch is 8" and I am running a 11" secondary thats the only way you will even come close to a 1:1 ratio.Plus I have 22 tires. Also the secordary helix is not aggressive enough. Trust me I have been working on this project for 2 years there is alot of issues to work out.