Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

400EX stomping Warrior??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2000, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey y'all,
I have a 96' Warrior and have absolutley loved it, until last night. Last night my freind came over to my house with his new 2000 400EX!! I was thinking "yippie, u got a new quad! I still love my Warrior" Then we went riding and everything changed. The 400 hasnt even been through 3/4 a tank of gas and he could still stomp me. Think what it'll be like when its broken in!! Anywayz, he then let me ride it. Let me tell you, that thing is soo much different than my Warrior. First off I noticed how much better the handling was!! That thing was so easy to turn. Next I noticed how light it was, he could pop a wheelie in 3rd gear!! I can barley pull one off in 2nd gear. So now I'm a lil bit jealous, and my parents wont buy me a 400EX!! (I'm 15 years old, no job) I'm tired of eating dust and I waz wondering what can i do to my Warrior to at least get it to hang with the 400? I dont want to really do any major engine work or ruin the reliability? Would a White Bros. E-series pipe help me hang with him?? Thanx for any replies, but lets not have anyone come in here and tell me to buy a 400EX and then start dissin' the Warrior.

Old 05-07-2000, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a Warrior owner with a lot of bolt ons, I can tell you that none or all of them will make your ride competitive with the 400ex but they will help to keep your friend from running off & hiding from you. Certainly a good pipe and an upgrade to your suspension will go a long way. Gearing up will help the top end. If you still use the stock tires that will not help you in the technical stuff either, due to the roll over & mediocre hook up they offer.
Also, keep in mind that a good rider on a so-so quad will often make a mediocre rider on a hot quad look a little sick. So, as the man was told when asking how to get to Carnagie Hall,..."practice, practice, practice!"

Old 05-07-2000, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Hey man I hear your disappointment. I used to have a warrior but instead of keeping up with a 400, I was running with dirtbikes and banshees. I got an estimate on engine work. It was a 12:1 piston, 3 angle valve job, stainless rockers, new guides, bore and hone, cam, ti springs, custom intake. I hate to tell ya you may hang in the trails but never in the open. Even with the engine work your still giving up like 14% displacement. You can lower you frt sprocket and get faster and drop from 22 rears to 20s and the speed with come.

Old 05-08-2000, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

You can always call Team Alba. They have a 400 stroker kit for a Warrior. And they claim it does great things to a Warrior. And who knows you might be able to keep up with your friends 400EX. Or at least not lose by so much.

Old 05-08-2000, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

After several races and hill shoots against 400ex's, my 400cc stroker Warrior holds its own and it comes down to who gets the holeshot. The motor has extensive mods, but even with matching cc displacement, the 400ex still has two more valves to flow more air.

Yes I can hang with the 400ex's, but its more the rider and terrain than the quad.

Be happy with your warrior, and don't envy the 400ex too much.

Old 05-08-2000, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean ur 15 no job get of your *** and get one i had one since i was 13.5. And anther thing like everyone else said its the rider not the bike. Me and my fat hog beat a banshee 400ex and the ds650 on are little trail race we had it was great.

Old 05-09-2000, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

I have a four stroke tech 430 kit with aries 12:1 piston and a 450duration cam with titanium valve spring kit with works shocks soon to come in ,so soon I'll be adding 2+a arm and 2+ swing arm with a 4+ durablue axle .So watch out 400ex riders some warriors are very fast!

Old 05-09-2000, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey!!
Thanx for all the replies, but i really dont wanna spend $1,000 on a 400cc stroker kit!! And its kinda hard to get a job when you're 15 unless your parents have a business. I think I'll just get a White Bros. E-series pipe and vent my airbox. Any suggestions with this?? Will a E-series pipe do anything to my engine??(shorter engine life, lower reliability??) Thanx

Old 05-10-2000, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Why don't you save your money and just take it for a while, until you can get you a 400ex or one of the new ones coming out. Maybe they will be faster than the 400. They are supposed to be. I don't know why a 15 year old can't get a job, i had one. Mow grass, clean out garages wash cars etc....

Old 05-10-2000, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

No the pipe wont harm reliability ,you just have to jet your carb richer so you don't run lean.And if you want more bang for your buck ,get a k'n and drill 1inch holes in your air box lid ,this will help your power alot.As far as silencers go ,I would go with a dg,It comes with the header and the spark arester ,plus its the same megaphone designe as the white bros ,just without the price tag.

Quick Reply: 400EX stomping Warrior??