Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

porting&polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2000, 12:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know the pros and cons of haveing my banshee ported and polished for mx raceing, 1 person said not to do it because i would lose my durability and another person said go ahead and do it , it will not bother the durability they said the only time u mess with the durability is when u lighten up the fly wheel and some other stuff that i cant remember. so if u could help me out i would appreciate it and i would like to know what else i can do to it to help out the performance too

joe jute 99 banshee
fmf fatties,power core 2 silencers,boost bottle,reed spacers,boyesen power reeds,nerf bars,renthal bars,cool head,work shocks,dg bumper,stock carbs with 280 jets,tors system removed,unifilter,itp hole shots,rear turf tamers,pro design kill switch,

Old 05-17-2000, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Well I speak primarily from Muscle Car experience. But engines are engines nonetheless. By porting the heads you are increasing the combustion chamber (allowing more fuel and air in and exhaust out) doing this alone would be futile unless you were to raise the compression as well.

The more fuel and air you can burn in the combustion chamber the more HP you'll get.

What you are doing by polishing the intake and exhaust ports of a cylinder head is increasing the flow. Keep in mind this will increase HP but only at HIGH rpm's, you will lose low end power.

Just by porting and polishing I wouldn't claim it reduces an engines durability. But remember, once you start removing material you can't put it back!

If you were to have these modifications performed I would STRONGLY recommend taking it to a shop that has many years of experience and most importantly a flow bench. With a flow bench they will be able to tell you how much air (CFM) your head(s) will flow before and after modification.

If you have stock exhaust I would also strongly recommend to replace it. Remember HP is not everything. For example, running open headers on a muscle car will show you HP gains (at higher RPM's) yet throwing on an exhaust might show lower total HP, BUT changes the torque curve more to your liking. Keep in mind HP is derived from torque.

If you are on a MX track, you'll need to keep the bike in it's new powerband. Jetting, gearing, and exhaust will definitely be re-tuned.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2000, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

A good engine tuner can make your engine do what you want it to. That being said if he really knows his business it will not be any less reliable. Be careful there are alot of banshee (experts) out there that don't know s_ _ _. Talk to a reputable company, tell them how you ride ,your skill level, what pipes and heads you have and you should be happy with their work. DO NOT LET SOMEBODY DO YOUR ENGINE JUST BECAUSE HE HAS THE TOOLS. Tools are expensive knowledge is priceless