Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

wraping the header with header wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2000 | 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I just called the company that powder coated my frame. It would cost about $60 to $80 for the pipe and header. I told him that it would be for a quad and questioned how well it would stand up to abuse. He said that it is pretty durable. Resists heat up 1800 degrees I think. But I specifically asked him about rocks and dirt. He thought that it would hold up pretty well.

I can get it in either black or silver. I will look at the pipe today and see the exact condition of the pipe. But if I will only help the motor, and make the quad look nicer, then I might just do it.

What will the coating do exactly to the performance of the pipe?
Will the higher temperature inside the pipe affect the shock wave?

Old 05-19-2000 | 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I've had several pipes coated with a ceramic type coating from http://www.performancecoatings.com Their product is called CermaChrome. Cost has been $90.00 for inside and out. With the 10-10 rule (10 mph-10 feet away) you can't tell that it's not chrome.

The coating does retain the heat within the pipe. Same deal applies here, keep the heat where it can do some good. The pressure waves will want to move faster with the increased heat. Gains are small, but it does add up in the big picture of engine tuning.

One of the other benefits that I have seen with coatings are it's resistance to corrosion. Riding on the Oregon Coast in the salt mist things corrode fast. FMF pipes are famous for the nickel to start to flake. Take you pipe down, coat it and forgot about corrosion. Most shops provide a warranty for the life-time against corrosion. One problem that I have had with this, is around the spring hangers and under Paul Turner pipes where they braze the ID plate on, I've yet to find someone that can get coating under the ID plate. I did bitch about the spring hangers and they re-coated it. I've warned them ahead of time on other pipes that I have taken there, that I'll be back if it corrodes there, and they tend to pay a tad more attention to detail then.

Other chassis parts can be coated as well, kick starters, axles, brake and shift levers....usually if it can withstand about a 400 degree bake it can take coating. You've got to remember that the coating shop isn't going to understand your parts exactly, therefore make especially sure that you're removed grommets, o-rings, seals and so on before getting it coated.

Old 05-19-2000 | 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

www.Jet-hot.com does hi-temp ceramic coatings. Price for my warrior head pipe was $65 and the finish has held up great. Its a satin silver and does run cooler.

The finish even comes with a 1 time free re-coat if it ever does need it too.....

try it you'll like it as its much more durable than chrome.

Old 05-21-2000 | 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, I forgot. If you were to get the pipe Ceramic coated, ensure you get BOTH the inside AND outside done.

Old 05-23-2000 | 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

seriously.....hehehe

Old 06-01-2000 | 04:23 PM
|
Pro Rider

any body eles opion.

Old 06-02-2000 | 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

426. Go to www.highlifter.com. They sell a Heat fighter kit that will Drastically reduce not only the pipe temp but the oil temp. I have just ordered this for my Quad. I know you guys are more performance than my little trx300 4x2 is but every little bit helps. See you online.

Old 06-02-2000 | 03:17 PM
|
Pro Rider

let me know how it works!

Old 06-03-2000 | 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

I emailed Jet-Hot and they said it would cot $135 to coat my banshee pipes.

Old 06-06-2000 | 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Just my 2 cents. The header wrap is cheap and removable. I would try that first and make sure it does not affect your power in a bad way. If it works out well or has no affect, but you want it pretty and/or durable then have it coated.

Quick Reply: wraping the header with header wrap