Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

HELP ME OBI-WAN my 250r starts, runs, and then it dies.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2000, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 2 weeks ago, I bought a 89 250r. the quad sat for 2 years and it has not been started ridden or anything. So I took it to my mechanic so that he can check it out. He cleaned it up and checked it out to see what it needed done.
when he fired it up, it would run for about 50-100 feet, then it would die. this happened a couple of times so he brought it back in and checked all the connections, plug, etc...
but when he would star it up again, same problem had occured. he thinks it might be the stator or the coil. as of this post he is still trying to find the source of the problem. HAS ANYONE ENCOUNTERED THIS PROBLEM? AND IF SO WHAT WAS THE CAUSE AND WHAT FIXED THE PROBLEM.
please any response would help very much.
thank you
ron

Old 07-01-2000, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mechanic, I, but: sitting for two years, I'd not be surprised if the fuel system were gunked up. Surely, you've checked tank, petcock, fuel lines, disassembled, cleaned, and adjusted the carburetor thoroughly and checking especially carefully the float setting . . .

Tree Farmer

Old 07-01-2000, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

I agree, after sitting that long, check fuel and air systems.

`nate

Old 07-01-2000, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer is right. I had an ATC back in the day that would run until I got to the end of the street, then it would stall. I'd spend about 15 minutes trying to start it. Then I'd push it home. When I got into the driveway it would start on the first pull. I'd ride it to the end of the street where it would die then I would repeat all of the above steps. I finally found out that there were 2 filter screens on my ATC and one of them was totally crudded up. With all of the crud on the screen it would let enough gas trickle thru to fill the carb bowl in about 30 minutes. With the bowl full it would get to the end of the street on that amount of gas, then it would run dry. That's my story, hope it helps.

Old 07-01-2000, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

also check if the gas cap is letting air through
if it isn't it will not be able to suck gas into the carb.

Old 07-04-2000, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Your problem does sound like a fuel problem like what others have said. I am pretty sure that it isn't electrical because if it was then it wouldn't start at all. I have had electrical problems with 250R's and they just happen totally. By that I mean that when someone electrical fails then the bike won't start, run or do anything. The electrical system is basically working or not working. I would have to say that you have a problem with getting lack of fuel. The carb is probably filled up when you start it, but then it runs out after being ridden because it just isn't getting fuel fast enough. Throughly clean the gas tank, fuel lines and carb and then see if the problem persists. My guess is that you will solve all your troubles with a good flush of the fuel system.