Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

turbo odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo odyssey

hey im gonna turbocharge my odyssey. ive decided. its an fl350. i have a greddy turbo i pulled out of some kids wrecked street car. im just wondering if theres any way to do this without added electronics?

Old 02-08-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default turbo odyssey

hey man....sounds like you just wanna go faster......i dont know if the odyssey motor will stand up to the extra heat and compression that a turbo of that size will do to it....itl probly make it more unreliable than it usually is. heres my suggestion...sell the turbo on ebay, and buy a 600 twin snowmobile engine..preferably with oil injection. that should give you all the power you need.
if youve really got your mind set on turbos though..you should look into the older(like mid 80s) kawasaki street bikes, i believe they made a turbo street bike, and that turbo would probly spool up alot quicker, plus you could strip the blowoff valve and maybe modify the exhuast side of the turbo to weld it to your headpipe and down pipe....gonna run real hot though....probly ping like a bitch unless you put two headgaskets on it. almost garanteed to burn up your piston..but hey, youll have the only one out there right?

Old 02-08-2004, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default turbo odyssey

exactly, ive also got a mid 80's saab turbo w/intercooler. that should help with the heat along with a water cooled head and oil cooler. ive pretty much made up my mind. ive seen fl350's w/snowmobile engines but im not all that keen. quads are different because its swingarm and not full adjustable. i got started on the fab yesterday. ill try to post some pics

Old 02-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default turbo odyssey

If I read your post correct you are trying to turbo a two stroke?

If this it correct, you are going to run into many, many problems. They don't call them blowers on two stroke diesels for nothing. You can't really supercharge a two stroke like I think you are talking about. You can scavenge the gas and "blow" it out the exhaust but it is very difficult to build pressure (supercharge) on a two stroke. Will the scavenge help with power? If done correctly, yes. But it is very difficult to achieve.

Other problems are. How are you going to lube your turbo? What kind of oil pump? How are you going to filter and cool that oil? Where are you going to store that oil?

For a two stroke to work good, it needs to breath on the exhaust and scavenge the exhaust gas. Thats the reason for the expansion chamber. Your going to put a turbin wheel in the gases path and pack the gas up in the engine. See the problem here?

These are just a few problems that you will have, I don't have time right now to type or explain the rest.

If you are trying to turbo a 4 stroke 350cc with a car turbo, well there is many problems there also.

I did not intend to rain on your parade, I just don't want you to spend money on something that won't work.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default turbo odyssey

its a project i have decided and i will probably run into many problems but its not like i have a deadline and its not like im in too much of a hurry to get it done. i really just want to have something unique and fast. i will address issues as they come up.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default turbo odyssey

sell me your g-ready turbo?

Old 02-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default turbo odyssey

already sold
check out my old warrior on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6725