Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

4-Stroke Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

Curtis Sparks and Ct make very good dyno proven pipes.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

the curtis sparks, ct and lrd are almost identical. i can take my curtis sparks spark arrestor and put it on my lrd and all three run the same can ( length and diameter ) and header. you can only do so much with the flow anyways. about the only diif. is going to be your jetting specs. for each one and elevation changes. although some pipes promise high numbers , its usually right before you shift. the best pipes pull hard all the way trough. 9 times out of ten if pipes produce big big power, you wil loose it some where else in the rpm's.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

Well since the frame cant be changed and the header is usually kept stock diameter so its to be expected that those things are similar. If they are all the same, then why do people even change from stock, or why do people buy slip on pipes? Its the charachteristics of the airflow and baffles inside the can that change the performance. There are differences between them. The reason your jetting is basically the same is because you arent changing the intake.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

i in no way said these pipes are the same as stock. the comparison was only between the pipes in question. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

actaully mad dog u r wrong a full exhaust system will give you mor h.p. in most cases they take out some of the excess bends and they also make them a littl bigger in diameter u can see this at the hmf site
www.hmfengineering.com

Old 07-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

all my bikes run after market pipes and headers and every one but the fmf powerbomb on the 400ex is bigger. the powerbomb does run an unusually long secondary head pipe along with the bomb of course. and this works by changing pressure in the pipe.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

The 400ex isnt a very good atv to compare exhaust on because the most any company has claimed to get out of a full system is 2-3 hp. Try comparing canisters on something like a raptor which can get up to 14 hp from a full system.

I know that the head pipes are a source of performace. But if they were the only source, then no one would be buying or making 15 different kinds of aftermarket canisters, especially if the headpipe diameter, location, and mount are the same as they are with many atvs.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

i never said they are the only source you also get h.p out of the silincer you can get h.p. out of just a slip on but you will always get more if you buy a full system like if you buy a white bros. e series slip on its not gonna have the h.p. gain as much as a white bros. e series with a white bros. works head pipe

Old 07-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

no slip on or full exhaust alone will give anything a 14 hp gain. you need to jet ,filter and fine tune for that kind of gain. not just anyone who buys this "pipe" is going to have the same results. the tlc dominator claims 17.5 on the yfz. if any body out there thinks that this number is going to hold for more than 750 rpm's the dont need to be tuning a fork let alone a bike. these numbers are usually the potential of a system. an exhaust will only flow as much as the motor can take in.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 4-Stroke Exhaust

Originally posted by: 450r
no slip on or full exhaust alone will give anything a 14 hp gain. you need to jet ,filter and fine tune for that kind of gain. not just anyone who buys this "pipe" is going to have the same results. the tlc dominator claims 17.5 on the yfz. if any body out there thinks that this number is going to hold for more than 750 rpm's the dont need to be tuning a fork let alone a bike. these numbers are usually the potential of a system. an exhaust will only flow as much as the motor can take in.
Of course you have to rejet and modify the intake, but its only worth doing if you have an exhaust to let more air out of the engine. Thats why you do one when you do the other. The difference between the pipes is how efficiently they flow out that air that the engine takes in, and any itelligent person understands that it obvious you cant flow more than you take in.

I'll bet if you take a closer look that the dominator pipe you speak of probably doesnt claim a PEAK hp gain of 17.5. If you doubt the 14hp with pipe and filter combo then check out the CT or LTE or even sparks pipes for the yamaha raptor. All three have thier own and supplemental dyno runs to prove the 12-14 hp gains on peak, and up to 30 at redline.

Quick Reply: 4-Stroke Exhaust