Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

what is POWERBAND??? can someone explain how it works

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is POWERBAND??? can someone explain how it works

hey, i know what powerband does, you go faster at, but what makes it do it, and how does it work, any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Powerband is usually described with two strokes, in mind. Four strokes have a realtivly flat torque curve, and theres no power hit, like on a properly tuned two stroke.The power band usually extends from slightly below the engine's torque peak to slightly above its power peak.

powerband
This article does a pretty good job of explaining, why.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

thanks man, that site is awesome

Old 11-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

most of the time 2-strokes are associated with having a very "narrow" powerband, meaning that you have to keep the rpms within a specific range to maintain power. most 4-strokes tend to have a broader powerband, where they make more power throughout a larger rpm range.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

"Powerband" is the HP/torque curves of any engine. The sudden hit of a 2-stroke that people refer to as "hitting the powerband" or "coming on the pipe" happens when the engine hits its sweet spot. 2-strokes rely on the frequency of waves. Notice how the exhaust of a 2-stroke is shaped. The length of the pipe from the cylinder to where it goes small again after the expansion chamber affects where the power peaks at. The angle of the cone where it goes smaller is also one of the MANY factors to a 2-stroke pipe. The piston going up and down creates a "pulse" of exhaust gas. Everytime the exhaust port opens another "pulse" of exhaust gas is released into the pipe. 2-strokes actually also pull raw, unburnt fuel into the exhaust along with the burnt fuel (one reason they can't pass emissions). The sound waves caused by each pulse will follow through the pipe and bounce off of the cone at the rear. They then follow back forward and shove the fuel back into the cylinder. When the engine starts hitting the perfect RPM where the piston is travelling up and down creating a pulse that is in time with the sound waves in the pipe is the RPM where you start to feel that sudden hit.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the awesome explanation, i get it now, im not exactly stupid all thought it may sound it because of this question, but i just needed a lil explainin on what exactly happened to give the boost in "powerband". Thanks again guys!!!

Old 11-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I never thought you were stupid. 95% of the people that ride have no idea how their engine works. I would rather 100 people ask a question and have it answered than to hear another person say "I had a powerband put in my banshee" or say "my banshee has reeds, FMF pipes, and a powerband". As a joke, a local shop had a bucket of rubberbands sitting on the sales counter marked "powerbands". Each color had a type of 2-stroke bike written on it. YZ250, banshee, CR125, etc. You would be surprised at the guys that had been riding for years that wanted one for their bike.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: theBEASTfromTHEeast
thanks for the awesome explanation, i get it now, im not exactly stupid all thought it may sound it because of this question, but i just needed a lil explainin on what exactly happened to give the boost in "powerband". Thanks again guys!!!
Hey man, don't feel dumb for asking questions, thats how I learned and still learning. The only dumb guys are the ones who don't ask and asume they know everything. And I bet there is a ton of guys on here now reading these posts going, whooaaa, I should of asked this sooner.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

lol, thanks guys, im new to this forum but i already feel like a part of the whole crew thats on here. And about the powerbands that they were selling at the auto place, that is the friggin awesomest thing ive heard all day, i wonder how much money i could get selling those at school? lol thanks again

Old 11-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

ask questions man, that's the only way to learn. i probably have 200 threads on here askin questions about various different things.

when selling the bowerbands, make sure that u have a bucket of high compression lug nuts along side it. when you install the 2 together, u can get as much as a 10% hp increase!!!! lol, i convinced half my auto service class that i had high compression lug nuts on my truck, and it gave me an extra 50 hp. lol

Quick Reply: what is POWERBAND??? can someone explain how it works