Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

twist throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle...

My freind broke his elbow today due to sand in his twist throttle, he was on a xr200 and was behind me while i was stopping he attempted to slow down and the throttle stuck, he jumped off the bike just before it hit me but the bike hit the back of my quad and flipped over me and landed about 10 feet in front of me (no damage to my quad thank god) but my buddy broke his elbow and is at the hospital right now.

Twist throttles stick, thats bad, ive had many stick on me when riding dirt bikes, if you get one make sure you clean it out alot.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

all my buddys that ride dirtbikes just say to make sure that i have an endcap on the bars, and to lube the throttle and cable before installing. i hope ur friend feels better. maybe after x-mas i'll get a twist and give it a try. if i don't like the twist i can go back to thumb, right? the twist doesn't modify the carb or ne thing does it?

Old 11-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Cro Biker
It does not change anything with your carb. The kit comes with another throttle cable (that attaches right to your old spot on the carb and to your new twist grip). You are right if you don't like it you can just switch back to the old 1. For the low price to convert to the twist throttle, I think it is a very effective mod for your quad. I agree with everybody that you should make sure your twist grip is clean and lubed, just another part of doing regular maintenance to your bike or quad. Like anything else if you don't maintain them you will have problems, part of the joys of owning anything.

Ross, sorry to hear about your friend, our prayers are for his fast recovery, so he can get out and enjoy the outdoors once again.

PS: Just a quick note to explain why I originally installed a twist grip throttle on my quad. I was tired of getting a stiff thumb after riding for long periods of time. It was just too painful and I was not enjoying the quadding as much as I would have liked too. 1 of the side benefits of the conversion was an improvement in my performance riding.

Patrick Saunders
DiveTecMarine Consultants

Old 11-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FoxSpirits
My freind broke his elbow today due to sand in his twist throttle, he was on a xr200 and was behind me while i was stopping he attempted to slow down and the throttle stuck, he jumped off the bike just before it hit me but the bike hit the back of my quad and flipped over me and landed about 10 feet in front of me (no damage to my quad thank god) but my buddy broke his elbow and is at the hospital right now.

Twist throttles stick, thats bad, ive had many stick on me when riding dirt bikes, if you get one make sure you clean it out alot.
You can't blame that on the throttle. The twist throttles come fully enclosed so that this very thing wouldn't happen. If he had a hole in the guard, or no bar ends to keep dirt from getting in between the bars and throttle then he was just asking for trouble.

Old 11-21-2004, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

jps, u've been a huge help on this, thanx a bunch. lucky for me honda makes a very good thumb throttle, especially on the 450r. as long as i know that i can go back to a thumb throttle if i don't like the twist, i'll be getting a twist after x-mas (if i dont' get it for x-mas).

Old 11-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

David, it sounds like you will be having a merry christmas this year. When you get it the install is pretty straight forward, but give me an e-mail if you need help.
Keep kicking up that sand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

lol, ya, everything i asked for is for my quad. lol. i'm obsessed. "ride hard, ride fast, whatever you do, just ride"

Old 11-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

the twist throttle isnt all the fault, i mean, if the throttle sticks, wouldnt instinct be the pull on the clutch lever??

Old 11-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ZillaRider87

the twist throttle isnt all the fault, i mean, if the throttle sticks, wouldnt instinct be the pull on the clutch lever??
he was like 5 feet behind me and he didnt have time to realize to pull the clutch in. Lets now think of the ways it could have been avoided:

The owner of the bike should give proper maintenance to the twist throttle.

Use a thumb throttle.

Old 11-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

u forgot that off-roading (atvs, dirtbikes, trucks, etc.) only 5 feet from somebody is an incredibly bad idea. even if his throttle didnt' stick, you could have had to slam on your brakes, or hit something that made you stop suddenly, and he still would have run into you. regardless of what happened with the throttle, he shouldn't have been that close.

Quick Reply: twist throttle...