Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Idle (Pilot) Jetting Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 Banshee with two 35mm Kiehen Air Stryker Carbs.

The carbs are jetted with 175 Mains, 42 Pilots, CEL Needles on 3rd Clip and the Idle Mixture Screws 2 turns out.

To get enough idle, I have both carb Idle Speed Screws turned all the way in. This barely provides enough idle.

My question is, what adjustments do I need to make so I don't have to turn my Idle Speed Screws all the way in to obtain enough idle? I would like to have them turned about half-way in so I have some latitude to increase or decrease my idle if I want to.

Thanks for any assistance!

Old 10-03-2000, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you need to go up one on the piolot jet or adjust the clip.I would think the pilot.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-04-2000, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Try turning the air screw in about a 1/2 turn. IF this doesn't bring the idle up some check your throttle cable slack. On top of the Keihin carbs there is a "brass" colored nut, you can adjust some slack out of the cable with that. Turn it out(CCW) to take slack out. It may need a slightly leaner pilot jet if the above doens't help. How is throttle response when riding. One way to see if your too rich or lean is pull on the choke while you're riding. If it gets worse--rich, better--lean.

Old 10-04-2000, 01:12 AM
Range Rover

Wouldnt it be a RICHER pilot jet not a leaner pilot jet???Maybe i am wrong but i think it is correct!

Old 10-04-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

I am also confused (occurs frequently). Do I need to get a larger idle jet or smaller than my current 42mm?

What size should I try next and how does this make it so I don't have to turn my Idle Speed Screws all the way in to obtain enough idle? I would like to have them turned about half-way in so I have some latitude to increase or decrease my idle if I want to.

You also advised to turn the idle mixture screw in 1/2 turn. That will richen the mixture since it leans out when you turn the screw out (screw is on the air intake side of the carb). Do I want to richen or lean it to increase idle?

Also, I am not quite sure what you meant to check when riding with the choke on????

Throttle response is "OK," but sometimes it "burps" when I jam the throttle on from idle. Once it clears up, it takes off. This occurs only occassionally and was worse before I increased the main from 172 to 175.

Thanks for any assistance!

Old 10-04-2000, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

Getting the right needle jet will make the biggest difference. That is what really controls the throttle response. It can also have a slight effect on your idle. Raising your carb slides with the adjuster may work also.
I only deal with one carb on my Banshee.

Old 10-04-2000, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

So do I get a larger pilot than my current 42, or a samller one?

What size should I try?

Old 10-04-2000, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I am sofa king we todd did.

Turn the air screw OUT about 1/2 turn

The "burp" that you describe almost sounds like a lean condition. Does it stall momentarily and then pick up RPM within a second or two???(lean) Or does it bog down and not really want to pick up???(rich)

Try moving the clip down a position.

Also installing a size smaller pilot jet may also help with the throttle response to a small degree.
Try one thing at a time. Keep notes of what you changed and how it affected it. Try to get all your tuning done about the same time. I.E. same temps(air and humidity), engine warmed up about the same, traction conditions and such, it will eliminate that variability for you.

Old 10-04-2000, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

So, if I drop my Pilot jets down from 42 to around 38-40, I should be able to back my Idle Speed screw out from its current position, thereby giving me some latitude to increase or decrease the idle?

Will the decrease in Pilot jets make my banshee idle higher? Why? I would think increasing the Pilots would deliver more fuel, thereby increasing the idle speed???

Help????

Old 10-05-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Try a 40 pilot first. With the air screw set at 1 1/2 turns out.

Quick Reply: Idle (Pilot) Jetting Question