Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Long storage-wont start-need help by tomarrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long storage-wont start-need help by tomarrow

Guys, my buddy needs help. He is suppose to ride Friday after thanksgiving. Unfortunately, he let his four wheeler sit for four months without starting her up. Big mistake I know, but he has as few hours tomarrow to get it running right before he goes riding Friday.

He already use a BG product like a fuel injector cleaner- that didn't help

Here is what he has on his list to do tomarrow:

Bad gas - drain and refill.

Spark plug is pretty fouled - replace

What else should he do?

Does the carb need to be removed and cleaned?

Or could the carb just need adjustment?

I dont think he is going to have the time to work on the carb if thats part of the culperate but if my leg wasn't broke I'd be riding with them.

Oh yea his bike is a Grizzly

Thanks and happy Thanks Giving Everyone!

Aaron

Old 11-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

#1 Charge the battery over night.
#2 Change the plug.
#3 Take the air cleaner offf and give it a shot of ether.
#4 Light it off.

4 months is not that long of a time for things to go wrong. A lot of my engines sit for over a year and light off just fine.
Good luck.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:26 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I agree with Doctorturbo's suggestions and four months is not all that long and I doubt if its the gas. I just started my backup generator that has set since June and it fired right off and I too have engines that sit for a year at a time but stored with sta-bil and the batteries are regularly charged.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the tips.

He said he checked for spark and that was good. He has a portable charger and I'm guessing he charged it or paralled it while starting it. The one thing I'm shure he did was juice it as we are both electricians.

He says its fouling up the plug and he thinks its too rich, or a jetting problem in the carb. The manual says to air blast the jets to clean them out. He doesn't want to disassemble the carb and clean it as theres no time for that.

Thats why I think he tried the BG injector cleaner hoping it was clean the jets or carb without removal as he has been impressed with BG products in the past.

I was thinking maybe the float bowl is stuck , or the choke is stuck. He told me is not really a choke but an enricher and he thinks it works to allow more gas in the carb. Neither of us know anything about carbs. I was thinking tapping on the carb might free a stuck spring or something. Hahahaha am I way off base on that one?

Would this make any sense? He said his bike loss a little horse power over time and was running rough four months ago and didn't understand why, I was wonding if the exhaust packing could have gone bad. Could the packing deteriorate to the point it could plug the exhaust pipe? Its a 2002 and he has never checked the packing.

I also recommended he spray the intake with ligher fluid and try to fire it up for last resort. Is lighter fluid the same as ether?

Thanks alot for you help doctorturbo! I hope he gets it steaming because he found a new spot to ride.

Aaron

Old 11-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Twizz one thing you might check is spark. Have your buddy pull the plug out and ground it and turn it over. Or being an electricians you can just hold on to the plug. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just go down to the parts house and get a can of starting fluid. (ether) Ether is WAY more flameable than lighter fluid.

The last trick you might try is putting a 1/4 of a cap (on a quart bottle) of engine oil in the cylinder. When an engine sits for a while the bore will drain off the oil. It will loose some of it's compression. If you put a "little" oil in the bore it will slightly seal up the rings. This may put the engine over the edge and light it off.

Good luck and have a great Thanksgiving!!!!!! Hope you guys get it going!!!!!

PS. My old lady likes your avatar!!! She also said she has been to Falls Church. Very pretty I was told.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Four months isn't long enough for the fuel to go bad. I agree with twizz. Get some starter fluid and spray it into the carb. If you've got good spark, it should fire up for you.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again. I called him up and gave him those ideas so he has a better work list now. I wish my broke ankle was healed or I'd be riding with them. Its driving me stirr crazy starting it up each week but cant ride it.

The avatar I actually ripped it from another memeber here. Hahaha it amuses me to. If you want it, click it and save it to file, then post it to your forum avatar settings.

Falls Church is OK just another heavy suburb but its got lots of nice old giant tall trees. What you might be thinking about is Great Falls. Five minutes from District of Columbia up the Potomac River the rock gorge with rapids and small water falls, now that puts you in the right frame of mind.

Thanks to all your generous help. Getting ready for family coming over now so have a good one. Peace out.

Aaron

Old 11-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Careful with the ether, it can do more damage than good sometimes.

If he has spark, id try pull starting it. Hook up a tow strap, put the grizz in high, key on, and have someone pull it going about 10 mph. This is actually alot easier on the motor than starting fluid, and it wont wear down the battery. If it wont fire with choke on, try choke off and part throttle. If the motor is capible of starting, then it will.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hondabuster thanks for that new tip, didn't know that'll work too.

I've learned a lota good stuff myself, I'm dis-inclined when it comes to engines and I'm sure I'll have to use these tecniques one day myself.

I just called my buddy up to see what happened. He said his bro picked up some extra spark plugs for him two days ago. His plug was really fouled and all he did was put in a new plug and it fired right up. The old gas wasn't a problem or factor.

He thinks his bike is running rich and is going to find out how he can lean it out and tinker with it himself. I dont blame him saving the buck and knowing its done right the first time. You see he sent his bike in to get the heat sheild retrofit package by a dealer because his bike ran rough on long idle. The dealer called it something different but it also included a different jet size. He wonders if the dealer ever put the new jet in there. They did a sloppy job and even left the main exhaust hanger bolt off. Then he returned to the dealer to get the bolt back and they said we dont have one. So instead of waiting on ordering it he took care of it himself so he could ride his damm bike.

Well Pete did run into some problems on his rid today. Four months ago he replace the bad rear left CV joint and also decided to replace the right rear CV joint just for safe measure. As everyone knows 2002 660 Grizzly's were manufactured with cheaper CV joints and the rears are notorious to fail.
Well he busted one of the new CV joints he just replaced but keep riding the rest of the day. I know he is pissed off. He got the new replacement joints from a guy in Maryland but his confidance in reording from him again must be low.

Well at least he got to ride right?

Thanks fellers, hope you guys got better luck than the two of us.

Aaron

Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

The engine runs rich and fouls the plug after 20 hours run time. The carb needs adjustment, or may need jetting.

It has been a reliable quad even with the broken joints. I will not fault the CV on cracking because I do ride like a bat on fire out of H#!!. This past joint was broken from a nice "little" jump. I thumped the throttle on take off and landed on my rear left wheel at WOT. Everyone heard the joint break upon contact. There was a lot of laughing at my expense me included. Costly jump, but somehow comical. Had to be there I guess.

This is the second broken joint and, again, I rode the rest of the day (4 hours) in three wheel drive. I did have a little trouble on steep grades. Other than that the creek bed was helpful to promptly wash the useless grease and broken particles from the boot.

I will with pleasure give Dan the CV Man a call for replacement parts. He truly is the Man when it comes to CV joints.

Quick Reply: Long storage-wont start-need help by tomarrow