Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

carbs on the banshee

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbs on the banshee

I recently bought a 2000 Banshee. I want to start doing stuff to it. I plan to put on pipes/ silencers, K&N, boost bottle, and a jet kit for now. I was wondering how hard it is to tune the carbs so that they are even. I dont know much about carbs and how tell if they are even or if one is running richer/ leaner than the other one. The guy that I had bought the bike off of made out like that was the hardest thing to do. I just want to make sure that I could be able to do it myself before I mess something up.

Also I was wondering what pipes are good to use. I cant decide between the FMF fattys or SST, Toomey T-5's, Vito's Fat B@stards, or pro circuit. Please help me.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with T-5s or pro circuits. They sound the best to me. I never had any trouble tuning the carbs. You do have to remove the carbs to rejet and if you run the stock air box it can be a real pain. If you buy a toomey 2 into 1 air filter setup it make jeting a ton easier.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Don't waste your money on a boost bottle, it does nothing. That toomey 2 into 1 air filter is junk, the filter gets burned by the hot stingers {Trust me}. Don't get a $70 jet kit, mikuni jets are 2 for $5 at dinnis kirk {do a search at bansheehq.com to find the jets you need for your elevation, pipes, and filter}. As for the carbs, just use the same main jets, pilot jets, and needle clip position on both carbs. The carbs do need to be sycronized, meaning, looking into the back of the carbs {mounted on the bike with the motor off} move the throttle, and make sure both slides rise at the same time. Get a tors eleminator kit {do a search at BHQ}. Give your motor a 4 degree timing advance {many ways to do this}. The vitos pipe is a Matt Shearer pipe, and is a great top end pipe for a more serious motor {porting among other things}. T-5 or pc plats, with a pro design billet air filter adaptor and foam filter {if you must have a k&n, get an outerwear}, a 4 degree timing advance, and a noss machine head {or a milled stock one for more compression} will give you tons of power. This is the best advice:buy a banshee clymer, everything you could ever want to know about tuning, matinence, and rebuilding, your banshee is in that book, and they are only like $25. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the banshee powerplant. If anyone tells you they are hard to work on then they dont know what they are saying. Even splitting the cases are simple. You may have to buy 2 of something but there is a price break on it compared to a single. If you dont intend on getting into the water then I would put a pair of open elements on the carbs with outerwears. That will eliminate a lot of junk and open up some space. Everything midnite said is great advice. I personally like the T-5's. They work great on a stocker and will accomodate a lot of mods too. Everytime you change something it will just get faster.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

You and I are in the same boat.... I think the boost bootle is worhtless..Enless your seeking every inch of HP (1-2hp added), it's not needed. I have the FMF's on my Banshee, Gives you the loud classical 2 stroke sound, very responsive.

***Definitely get the Banshee Service/repair manual by Clymer.. Its basically like Banshee's for Dumbies*** Life saver

The banshee can very tempermentle, Once you get a knack for things i.e sounds, feel of the bike you'll be fine. It may take awhile. Usually jetting is for the race nuts. I mean, you will definitely beable to tell a little bit that your jetting (pilot,main,needle) maybe off. As long as your not running to lean you should be fine.

Want pics when you're done! Nice find though!

Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let the carbs scare ya.It will be worth the extra work.Just need a little practice.
For a stock banshee,the Toomey T-5's are great.I tried several pipes on my banshee when it still had stock cylinders.The T-5's are my favorite.Plus,like bubba said,they respond well to future modifications too.A boost bottle is a waste of money.Keep the stock cross over tube.The K&N filters that clamp onto the carbs are a good idea.The stock air box is junk,but necessary if you ride in alot of water.Make sure to have a good set of back tires.Traction can become a big issue for banshees.Just my 2 cents.