ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Performance Mods and Project Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/performance-mods-project-quads/)
-   -   Straight pipes are fine for a engine? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/performance-mods-project-quads/231468-straight-pipes-fine-engine.html)

buthead 02-20-2006 10:27 AM

Straight pipes are fine for a engine?

hello, just wondering if straight pipes will do harm to my engine. i want to buy some pipe and make some because i hate the sound of my beartracker the way it is now with the stock pipe on it. i took the muffler off a while back and i love that sound(but off coarse you cant run a quad with the muffler off..well my brother has had his off now for 3 months of riding and it has done nothing). i dont really want to take the pipe all the way off, so i just want to make a straight pipe for it.
any information is greatly apreciated.

Doctorturbo 02-20-2006 12:26 PM

"If" jetted correctly a straight pipe won't hurt your motor. If you have a good air cleaner and a straight pipe on you are going to be shoving a lot more air through the motor. When you do this you need to check your jetting to make sure your not lean.
This deal won't be forest service, or neighbor approved. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

buthead 02-20-2006 12:58 PM

i have a stock air box and dont really want to have to rejet but if i have to i probably will. when i had the pipe off before she ran really good, alot better than when it was on. so i guess i will just make a pipe and trough her on there.

"This deal won't be forest service, or neighbor approved."

i could care less what the neighbors think, i ride on the rode all the time, you should have seen some peoples faces when i took my beartracker up the rode with the pipe off screaming yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. thanks for the info, cause everyone is always telling me about if you do this to your atv it will damage the engine.

Trasher 02-20-2006 02:35 PM

["This deal won't be forest service, or neighbor approved."

i could care less what the neighbors think, i ride on the rode all the time, you should have seen some peoples faces when i took my beartracker up the rode with the pipe off screaming yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. thanks for the info, cause everyone is always telling me about if you do this to your atv it will damage the engine.

People like you are why people like me are concerned that our riding areas are closed, media gives the sport a bad rap, and people think the sport is unsafe. Please reconsider your actions. Believe it or not- your not the only person in the world. I know that would be hard for you to accept. We don't think your cool. You're not as bitchin as you really think you are. Maybe while your lying in a hospital bed after hitting something on the road with your loud pipe on, you will realize that what you're doing is wrong in many ways. Please think of someone OTHER than yourself.

shecanread 02-20-2006 02:41 PM

Originally posted by: Trasher

People like you are why people like me are concerned that our riding areas are closed, media gives the sport a bad rap, and people think the sport is unsafe. Please reconsider your actions. Believe it or not- your not the only person in the world. I know that would be hard for you to accept. We don't think your cool. You're not as bitchin as you really think you are. Maybe while your lying in a hospital bed after hitting something on the road with your loud pipe on, you will realize that what you're doing is wrong in many ways. Please think of someone OTHER than yourself.

amen

scootergptx 02-20-2006 03:21 PM

I'll bet it will really fly when you get the training wheels off too.

450kodman 02-20-2006 04:32 PM

another AMEN to trasher
its people like mr. buthead that ruin it for the rest of us.......thanks man

buthead 02-20-2006 08:29 PM

Originally posted by: Trasher

there is nothing wrong with riding the road aslong as you use your head. which i do. i figure if i want to ride the road i will. i know that is not the law but the law is stupid. the way i see it is that if i ride the road and get away with it then i got to point B. if i ride the road and get caught then... well... i fought the law and the law won. in my neighbor hood riding a atv is not looked down upon. people that go out and steal and murder is looked down upon here. i dont know where you come from but where i am riding a atv acually makes people smile. because instead of teenage kids out smokin the cheba behind the school they would rather ride there atv. that does my heart good. what i always have been taught is "you do your thing ill do mine" that is the way i will live until i die.

"I'll bet it will really fly when you get the training wheels off too." as said by scootergptx

i took those stock wheels off and tru on some magnums with mudlites and that baby flys. thanks for the tip.

speedi 02-21-2006 01:11 AM

Hey, buthead.
If you read the side of them facymudlites you got on there you can see they say "not for road use". But, if you live in the type of place that everybody rides and doesn't care about the things you are doing then thats fine. I'ved lived in places like that too, just wear your helmet and don't piss anybody off. Especially if they're cops, then you're screwed.

buthead 02-21-2006 12:08 PM

Originally posted by: speedi
Hey, buthead.
If you read the side of them facymudlites you got on there you can see they say "not for road use". But, if you live in the type of place that everybody rides and doesn't care about the things you are doing then thats fine. I'ved lived in places like that too, just wear your helmet and don't piss anybody off. Especially if they're cops, then you're screwed.
yeah, everyone rides in my town. i always wear my helmet and everything so i see that is is fine. atleast you understand.

mywifesquad 02-21-2006 12:36 PM

Originally posted by: buthead

i could care less what the neighbors think, i ride on the rode all the time, you should have seen some peoples faces when i took my beartracker up the rode with the pipe off screaming yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

there is nothing wrong with riding the road aslong as you use your head. which i do. i figure if i want to ride the road i will. i know that is not the law but the law is stupid.

xFreebirdx 02-21-2006 12:43 PM

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

i could care less what the neighbors think, i ride on the rode all the time, you should have seen some peoples faces when i took my beartracker up the rode with the pipe off screaming yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

there is nothing wrong with riding the road aslong as you use your head. which i do. i figure if i want to ride the road i will. i know that is not the law but the law is stupid.

Yup he got his user name right, but I bet I could come up with a couple better ones. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

scootergptx 02-21-2006 12:47 PM

So what's the name of this town? So those of us with no place to ride, will have a place to go.

motox26 02-21-2006 12:53 PM

He's just a "sh*t stirrur", ignore or ban him

Fireslayer 02-21-2006 01:02 PM

Got thier avatars and names switched around too!!! Seems the short bus must have broken down in front of a computer store today.

buthead 02-22-2006 04:18 PM

i am sick and tired of these forums, they keep deleteing my post when i preview them. man i hate this site. i dont need this. by the way Motox26, i am not trying to stir sh it up, i mearly wanted to know if straight pipes are fine for a engine. thank you for those that have helped me out. but now that i see how you people are in this forum(besides the ones that have helped me) i am going to a different site. most of the people on this site blow. i hope that if i drive passed your house some day that my loud pipe deafens your hearing.

by the way MR. Trasher. take that Git R Done off of your posts. its people like you that give people like me a bad name. you are just a wanna be so take it off.

recon99 02-22-2006 05:39 PM

how does Git R Done give "people like you" a bad name? I think riding a quad with no exhuast up the road hootin and hollerin like the dumb redneck you are is what gives "people like you" a bad name.

Oh, yeah, we're all really going to miss you when you leave atvconnnection, we really enjoy having jackasses like yourself around

mywifesquad 02-22-2006 05:46 PM

i am sick and tired of these forums, they keep deleteing my post when i preview them. man i hate this site. i dont need this. by the way Motox26, i am not trying to stir sh it up, i mearly wanted to know if straight pipes are fine for a engine. thank you for those that have helped me out. but now that i see how you people are in this forum(besides the ones that have helped me) i am going to a different site. most of the people on this site blow. i hope that if i drive passed your house some day that my loud pipe deafens your hearing.

by the way MR. Trasher. take that Git R Done off of your posts. its people like you that give people like me a bad name. you are just a wanna be so take it off.
With 7 posts total Im guessing you wont be missed.

Any one going to miss buthead?

MrDumass 02-22-2006 05:53 PM

After a post like that......nope!

motox26 02-22-2006 05:55 PM

Bye!

1of4Horsemen 02-22-2006 05:56 PM

Nope not really.

scootergptx 02-22-2006 06:25 PM

Only with the first shot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Makki 02-22-2006 09:09 PM

buthead you are soo lucky that you are riding in USA because here in Europe you would get a ticket worth about
1500$ and your ATV would be taken to police wherehouse
people like you are I D I O T S !!!!
I am happy that are low with people like you in my country thanks god because we dont have that mutch trees in my street to hang up people like you!!!!!!!!!!!

Trasher 02-22-2006 10:36 PM

You know there Buthead- I didn't call you names and was much more respectful than you deserve. Your quality posts won't be missed and I truely hope you take my advice for the good of the sport. You won't, but i tried.

Thanks for giving me the respect by calling me MR[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

See ya..............

getdrunk 03-11-2006 05:29 PM

i have a 400ex n stock muffler is quiet. so i decided to make it a very loud shorty
pics down der

http://teamxracing.cjb.net/index.php?showtopic=159

Sippyhole07 03-12-2006 04:30 AM

Use my motto "go all out or stay the F*** home" or like the shirt says if you cant run with the big dogs sit ur ass on the porch! o yeah....Straight pipes=loud pipes and Loud pipes save lives[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Scooter86 03-12-2006 09:30 AM

Originally posted by: Sippyhole07
Use my motto "go all out or stay the F*** home" or like the shirt says if you cant run with the big dogs sit ur ass on the porch! o yeah....Straight pipes=loud pipes and Loud pipes save lives[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yup, a lot of deer don't watch where they are going in the woods. You need that loud pipe to keep from getting run over. After a deer ran me off the trail last month, well, i can't get a loud pipe on my quad fast enough. I heard the noise might actually act as a mating call for moose though, so I guess it doesn't help out our Canadian friends?

BigRed1985 03-12-2006 12:12 PM

hey ya'll that keep fussing over the str8 pipe deal, i was wondering where do you live? down here in the country of Mississippi, if it ain't loud it is called a P.O.S. I run my beartracker with tha str8 pipe also buthead.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sippyhole07 03-12-2006 06:03 PM

yeah its scary when those deer pop out.........i was blazing through the woods on my klt 250 and the exhaust is bad and the light flickers and you can see but it was loud as hell and then all of a sudden 2 deer popped out and then the cdi box went out so im stuck riding a new sportsman till i get a new cdi

recon99 03-12-2006 06:11 PM

I live in PA, and there's just no way that you can get away with a staight pipe here. I have neigbors to consider when i'm riding at home, and all the places I go to ride have regulations about noise output or spark arrestors. Plus I don't want to go deaf.

z4hundo 03-12-2006 06:39 PM

Straight pipes? Come on-why make it any louder than it needs to be. The Bills pipe on my 450R may be loud, but its there for reasons OTHER than to be a noisemaker. Its no wonder places to ride are gettin few and far between- IDIOTS. If i see anyone with a straight pipe where I ride, theyre gonna get their faces roosted off. Grow up- this is why our favorite riding places get booby trapped, blocked, and otherwise ruined. And butthead- go find a pair of SCREAMIN EAGLES and take a long ride off a short pier. PEACE

z4hundo 03-12-2006 06:44 PM

Horsepower tip for ya buthead- take the air filter off that POS too, hopefully you blow it up before you make anyone else suffer with your ignorance

getdrunk 03-12-2006 07:36 PM

ok your al talking about streight pipes. what are u people meaning? a streight pipe coming off header or a pipe with a a streight coar?

and for hitting deer i can go from 60-0 in about 4 secs on my 400ex.

loud pipes usualy = more top end and less bottom end power. usualy the louder the pipe the more air the is flowing throught it which if it flows alot it is top end pipe.

BS400EX 03-12-2006 10:47 PM

Straight pipes on an atv? Proabably not the greatest idea. Less backpressure, due to a considerably increased rate of airflow, means that your exhaust valves will probably wear out quickly. Performance gain? Probably only slightly noticeable throughout the shifts. Is it worth is? You make that call. Is it really worth ruining your engine for the slight performance gain? Ask yourself.

getdrunk 03-13-2006 08:12 PM

Originally posted by: BS400EX
Straight pipes on an atv? Proabably not the greatest idea. Less backpressure, due to a considerably increased rate of airflow, means that your exhaust valves will probably wear out quickly. Performance gain? Probably only slightly noticeable throughout the shifts. Is it worth is? You make that call. Is it really worth ruining your engine for the slight performance gain? Ask yourself.

well tell me this. if running streight pipes is going to cause trouble than running no muffler would to even more easier. i did it for 9 months and i beat the quad. problums? nope. none caused by muffler

OneFlyCowboy 03-13-2006 08:32 PM

Why do i picture getdrunk sittin around with a bottle of whisky in one hand and the other hand flailing spasticly off his chest. all this while drool running down his chin and noises like dar durr der comming from his mouth?

getdrunk 03-13-2006 09:09 PM

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Why do i picture getdrunk sittin around with a bottle of whisky in one hand and the other hand flailing spasticly off his chest. all this while drool running down his chin and noises like dar durr der comming from his mouth?
der der..........eeeeeeeeeep du du derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffff.....................................

mywifesquad 03-13-2006 10:00 PM

I am now asking myself why I didnt toss this in the trash can 2 weeks ago

Good stuff here

Svilly 05-10-2018 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by buthead (Post 1903457)
there is nothing wrong with riding the road aslong as you use your head. which i do. i figure if i want to ride the road i will. i know that is not the law but the law is stupid. the way i see it is that if i ride the road and get away with it then i got to point B. if i ride the road and get caught then... well... i fought the law and the law won. in my neighbor hood riding a atv is not looked down upon. people that go out and steal and murder is looked down upon here. i dont know where you come from but where i am riding a atv acually makes people smile. because instead of teenage kids out smokin the cheba behind the school they would rather ride there atv. that does my heart good. what i always have been taught is "you do your thing ill do mine" that is the way i will live until i die.

"I'll bet it will really fly when you get the training wheels off too." as said by scootergptx

i took those stock wheels off and tru on some magnums with mudlites and that baby flys. thanks for the tip.

amen brother I'm gonna straight pipe my exhaust on my Honda rubicon and you know what mayby I'll lend my exhaust to these other pussys so they can have a dubble muffler exhaust so they can really get themselves wet

user493 05-10-2018 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Svilly (Post 3393693)
amen brother I'm gonna straight pipe my exhaust on my Honda rubicon and you know what mayby I'll lend my exhaust to these other pussys so they can have a dubble muffler exhaust so they can really get themselves wet

It's nice to know there are people like you who show up 12 years later and bump old threads like this with such intelligent comments. I'm looking forward to more of your brilliant contributions in the coming years.