Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

cleaning air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning air filter

hey guys wuts the best way to clean my air filter? my friend tito says that you have to clean it with gasoline but i just want to know if thats a good way to do it, i keep tellin him that it shoudnt be that way cuz the filter gets hot and could ignite

Old 03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

I use K&N filter cleaner for my KN.
If you have sponge, brake cleaner will work just fine. I heard simple green is ok too.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What kind of filter? Get a k&n recharger kit for a k&n filter, or if you have a foam filter you can clean it with an orgainic cleaner like simple green or one of those orangey-citrusey things. Rinse it out good, and use oil specifically designed for foam air filters, and make sure you use enough and that it's massaged all through the element, not just on the surface. Don't use gas, it doesn't clean that well, and it can cause the glue holding the filter together to come apart and deteriorate.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Range Rover

You are right. You definitely don't want to use gasoline to clean your air filter, but it is for a completely different reason than what you are thinking. Gasoline, over time, will cause the adhesives in your air filter to deteriorate. What you want to use, even recommended in your instruction/users manual, is kerosene. Kerosene will not break down the adhesives like gasoline will. Dip your fiilter and soak it through with kerosene, Then ring it out. Repeat this procedure several times, but after the first time your filter will look pretty much brand new. I guarantee it. After ringing it out you should apply some carbureator cleaner and then blast your filter from the inside outward with an air hose. This will help to get rid on any excess kerosene left in the filter. Then simply reinstall with no waiting needed before riding.

Notes: This advice is for foam filters only. You also may want to apply air filter oil after letting the filter completely dry through and before reinstalling. If you don't have any kerosene around, diesel is an excellent alternative. I have used both fuels, and I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. If you don't have any foam oil you can use 80W gear oil.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

Foam filter / soap and water works just fine for me for the last 10yrs with no regrets just make sure and use right oil for your filter

Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

After you wash it out, you DEFINETLY want to oil it. There is special filter oil for this. It's really sticky and will absorb dust better than motor oil.