Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

trx 250r pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is ther best all around pipe for a 88 trx250r? Once I start to modify it is there one that is better for it? I've heard recommendations for paul turners midrange, fmf's low/ mid, and dg's denton replica. I don't know if people are just trying to say I've got this and it works better than stock or if there are any comparisons from people who have dragged or dyno'd for comparisons. Any advice/facts would be greatly appreciated there are alot of choices out there. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-1999, 03:44 AM
Trailblazer

i run LRD's adjustable, although once set it is never changed.

as with anything, if you talk to 5 diff. people you may get 5 diff answers. who's right?? the best thing to do is pick up a Dirtwheels and look at what the top guys are running in whatever type of riding you are into. even then, you may see the top 5 with 5 diff pipes. a good ol' coin toss may be the best answer :-) !!!

Old 07-27-1999, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

I have had the opporunity to run several different pipes, with several different motor set-ups. I've ran an older FMF Rev, a newer FMF Rev, a Bill's Rev, a FMF Fatty, and a Paul Turner TRX Race.

The FMF Rev's I ran with a Rev ported cylinder and wasn't at all impressed. I then switched to the Fatty and found the performance level to be much better. The Bill's Rev pipe's tuned length is short for being a "Rev" pipe, it's hanging on the wall with the other FMF Rev's.

The Paul Turner TRX Race pipe, with the current motor set-up is the best pipe I've ran. Part of the situation is that the pipe is nearly matched to compliment the porting set-up, but have ran it on other motors with very good results. I would call it the best all around pipe. I installed it on the motor that was originally ported to match a PTR mid range pipe, but found that the mid range was nearly identical, but with greater top-end rev. That motor (which is the wife's ride), is one of the smoothest motors I've ridden. It tractors nicely on the bottom and pulls very strong up high (peak power's about 8250 RPM's). I've ridden it in the woods, and now is primarily ridden in the dunes, and really love that motor. I feel that the pipe is really what sets that motor apart.

Old 07-30-1999, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I personally own a DG, Paul Turner Race (Mid Range Pipe) and a FMF Fatty. I took off the Paul Turner Race pipe and opted for the Fatty, but honestly I like the Paul Turner better. The Paul Turner pipe makes your bike feel like it is slower than the FMF, but that is because the power is so incredibly smooth. The FMF feels like it has a little more top end, but from idle to 3/4 throttle you just cant beat the Paul Turner Race Pipe.

My friend also owns the LRD Adjustable and is somewhat happy with it. He says he actually liked the Fatty pipe better, but his motor is LRD ported so he runs their pipe too.

Just my $.02