Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

yfz 450 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006 | 07:18 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz 450 turbo

I guys

I come from Quebec Canada so my english is not perfect but I think we can understand each other. I want to find some information about a turbo set-up for my atv. Has anyone of you ever done this project?? I want to know if it's a good idea for the perfomance that can be achieved with a turbo set-up. I'm concerned to about the reliability of such a set-up. Look at this link it's pretty interesting but my goal is to find someone that already did the jump because I want facts and no blabla from a company that wants to sell their products!

http://www.fullthrottlejunkies.com/dynosheets.htm

Thanks alot!

Old 10-01-2006 | 02:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default yfz 450 turbo

You asked so I will give you my thoughts on this.
I have built many turbo engines in my life. I REALLY like turbo's. The good thing about them is POWER......and lots of it. You can make tons of power with a turbo.

The down side list is a long one especially if you have to make your own system from scratch. Some of the problems with turbo's include but are not limited too:

Space; turbo's, piping hoses and everything else that goes with it take up space. On an ATV, space is at a premium.

Weight; Even though turbo's don't weigh much; all the things that accompany them do. Do you really want more weight on a rarcing quad like the YFZ?

Heat; these things put out HP. When you put out HP your going to get heat; and lots of it!!!! Your going to be sitting on a quad that will roast your chestnuts!!!!

Oil feed and return. These things need oil; and a way to get that oil back to the sump. This can be a problem if space is at an premium. (which it is)

Fuel control; you have to pick whether you want a suck through or a blow though system. A blow through is nothing but a bag of snakes. Nothing but problems for fuel control. That leaves a suck through. Still hard to set up with a carb but doable. EFI is the way to go on this whole deal. But at 3 grand or more for a fuel system it can get expensive!!!!

These and more problems are in your path if you want to turbo your YFZ.

Then you have to look at the whole picture. Your going to turn your super nice track quad into a drag only quad. There is a reason that you don't see turbo quads on the track.

Bottom line is, if you want to go faster with your YFZ just bolt some N2O on it. You can have fun with it and even take it off if you want to go on the track.

BTW: Your English is better than most of the people on this site that were born in the States.

Old 10-01-2006 | 10:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz 450 turbo

Thanks for the comments!

But I didn't said that this engine was going in a regular atv! My goal is to build a small car to run on tarmac tracks. I understand all the arguments that you brought but I really want to find someone that has already done it. Do you think that my chances would be better on a 'drag' forum? Are there any of theses forums on the internet??

a+

Old 10-01-2006 | 11:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default yfz 450 turbo

But I didn't said that this engine was going in a regular atv! My goal is to build a small car to run on tarmac tracks.
Now your talking about a whole diffent animal. This is very doable.
The only advice I can give you about what your trying to do is pick a different engine if you can. The 450 is a winder engine. Everything is built real light; valves, rod, piston etc. This is not the best choice for a turbo unless you want to start over from scratch with a fresh build.

A better choice would be a big inch well built engine with a big crank and thick rods. Any 1 liter or bigger engine off of a street bike will make a great turbo base. Even some have low compression from the factory so you don't have to go with lower compression pistons.

Sorry, I don't know any other forums to go to.

I hope you have fun with your project. It sounds like fun.

Old 10-02-2006 | 09:51 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz 450 turbo

I know that it would be easier with a 1300 from an ayabusa but I'm stuck with this 450. I will try to let you know if I start the project someday.

merci beaucoup Doctorturbo!!! (thanks alot Doctorturbo!!!)

mudbug29

Old 10-02-2006 | 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default yfz 450 turbo

No problem.
Again, if you do this post on here and let us know how things are going.

Old 10-19-2006 | 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz 450 turbo

Hello I have a very simple question and I've been getting some mixed answers but maybe you can help. I was wandering what the best exaust for my 2005 yfz would be if you can help it would be apreciated thanks.