Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Steering Dampers??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-1999, 01:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are steering dampers worth the money? What exactly do they do. Do they take some of the vibration out of the bars? If I was to get one, I would be getting a Denton. Anyone else have one. How do they perform.

------------------
Jayson Blough '99 Banshee, '97 Warrior, '96 Blaster Yes I like Yamaha

Old 09-26-1999, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Jason, dampeners are worth the money if you ride hard. I have had a PEP on my Warrior for about a year. They do just what the term implies.. that is they dampen the shock going to the bars which is transmitted thru your arms & entire body. It's basically a hydraulic shock absorber clamped to the steering column, adjustable for several levels of dampening, depending on your style & preference. I'd think that the Denton would be a good one with the 7 click adj altho I'm not sure many riders would need that range of adj. The PEP has three & is plenty for me. Usually you just pick the one that suits you & forget the rest, anyway. I think the PEP is around $99. BTW, another big plus on dampeners...it will reduce or even eliminate head shake on the top end, if that is a problem.

THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

Old 09-26-1999, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a Denton steering dampner and it made a world of difference. It really helps a lot by making uneven terrain more managable by not having your handle bars jerk real fast and hurting your wrists.

Also the Denton is real easy to adjust by turning the dial.

------------------

Old 09-27-1999, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have the PEP on my Warrior and it made a world of difference. I don't know why I ever rode without one. I can run whoops farther and faster without arm pump as well as have safer landings from jumps. If you've ever had the bars ripped out of your hands by hitting a small stump or rock you'll really appreciate the damper. Best $94 I ever spent!