Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Warrior cam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-1999, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I have a 96 Warrior and I wanted to get more power!(doesn't everyone!) Anyway I'm going to be adjusting the valves soon and I was thinking why not put a high-performance cam in it? So I just wanted some info on good cams. Also, do they do anything bad to your engine? Reliability? Will it add that much power? Well thanx for any help!
Cameron

Old 10-14-1999, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

talk with Powroll in Oregon, I highly recommend then and their .430/.430 cam which breathes much better than the stock .380/.382

I'd port it too and get a valve job while you have the head off.

how much do you have to spend? All depends on how fast you want to go!

Heapster
400cc Wicked Warrior.

Old 10-15-1999, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, I only have about $300 to spend. Is it hard to install the cam yourself? Do you need any special tools? Would this really increase my power? Would the .430 cam be all that good with out doing any other head work? Cameron

Old 10-16-1999, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know that much about Powroll but I do know that WebCam is the most popular type of cam. I would say go with them. It shouldn't hurt reliability. It gives a good boost of power depending on what type of cam (mid-range, hi-rev, torque, all-around, etc.)

Cason Simmons
98 300EX (modified)

Old 10-16-1999, 07:18 AM
Range Rover

You can get a mild web cam .390 and stay in
your budget. Do you have a pipe and airbox
mods?

Old 10-17-1999, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, Thanx for all the replies! I have a pro flow pro design airbox and filter. I have the stock pipes but I'm thinking about getting a White Brothers E-Series Silencer. Would this pipe improve power? Would it reduce reliability? I want some more top-end, would the Webcam improve this? Is the cam hard to install? Do I need any special tools?
Cameron

Old 10-19-1999, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

I just got rid of my 99 Warrior. I first got a White Bros 390 cam with Titanium valve springs and 10.5 to 1 Wiseco piston. That was $300. for parts. It made a big improvement. You should replace the piston also when you do this because the higher compression will help with the low end torque. I got a solid improvement from low to high rpms. The 430 cam is set up for more high end RPM. I was talked out of it.
I then of course wanted more, so I got a White Bros E Series pipe and ran 7 discs, put a 150 main jet in, and drilled 2)2" holes in the air box lid. This also made a big improvement, but it made it louder, not obnoxious, but irritating to ME. I drag raced a stock Warrior when I did phase 1 and in a 100 yd drag on cement(parking lot of dealer) I won by 3-4 bikes. After phase 2, I could beat it by 7-8 and almost keep up with a stock Banshee. Basically I got the White Bros power up kit which at end goes from 18hp to 25hp. I strongly recommend their products. However, the 390 cam would NOT turn in the head without grinding a little of the inside of the head first. They said that they hadn't seen that before, but that a person would have to grind for the 430 cam. (might not be a do it yourselfer?) Anyways, if you care, I traded for a 2000 400ex.

Old 10-19-1999, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Also, with the high comp piston, you don't need to run any special gas at 10.5 to 1. I ran the 91 pump gas (premium) and it worked like a champ. My altitude is 800-1000 ft. for jetting comparisons.

Old 10-19-1999, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

To answer your question, yes you need special tools. You will need to remove the cyl. head. The valve springs should be replaced, to accomidate the increased lift of the cam.If your not sure you can do it, you might leave it to a pro.

------------------
[url]http://homepages.msn.com/YosemiteDr/thumper4x4/index.html

Old 10-20-1999, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info! Maybe I should go w/the WB E-series pipe! The cam sounds like some hard work and I want a better looking pipe anyway. Is there anything special you have to do when you put the pipe on? Would one size jet up be enough? Is it hard to drill the holes in the airbox? What's the best deal you've seen for a pipe? Thanks again for any and all replies!
Cameron

Quick Reply: Warrior cam?