Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

HELP need a thumb saver for my sons new quad

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my 3 year old son got a eton 40 for christmas but he cannot hold his thumb on for very long a woundered if there was anything to save his thumb and where to get it
Thanks
Todd
Morrison Illinois

Old 12-29-2000, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try a Thumb Saver. I got them for my wife and daughter. Rockymountain ATV P/N 04-900 12 bucks.

Old 12-31-2000, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Also CDS WWW.cdsatvaccessories.com or call 1-800-791-1333,can get a free catalog at website.I paid $12.95 for my daughter's thumb saver. She races & loves it on her 90cc 4TRX.

Old 01-01-2001, 12:20 AM
Range Rover

Here's my two cents....

I don't like the thumbsaver that is available. At least not for this situation. The problem I have is this,...instead of actually using his thumb to apply throttle, your son will be using the palm of his hand. This will be easier for him to push, but eliminates some of the control he has with his right hand. Instead of gripping the hand grip, he will be constantly opening his grip to lesson the throttle. There will come a time when he needs to lessen the throttle, but maintain his grip. Believe me, I know.

Back in the Spring, I bought my son a Suzuki LT50. He was 4 years old at the time. I had searched all of the mini quads out there, and I really liked the Suzuki throttle. It was easy. Or, so I thought. At first, my son loved his quad, but could only ride for ten or fifteen minutes before his thumb started to hurt. Then he would lose interest. I started doing the same thing your are....looking for a thumbsaver. It would kill me to load up the quads, drive to the farm, unload, get ready to ride...and in ten minutes be finished for the day. While I was searching for a thumgsaver, twist throttle or whatever I could find, I noticed that the ten or fifteen minutes turned into twenty to thirty minutes. So I gave up my search and decided not to rush things. I am glad I did. It's about eight months later...my son has moved up to a Suzuki LT80, and he can ride all day without his thumb giving him a problem. The biggest problem we have now is which gloves to put on him while riding in the snow. The thick gloves make him lose his grip a little and the riding gloves get a little cold after a while. I still don't have the answer to this one.

I know everyone has an opinion, and here's mine. Don't buy a thumbsaver. Make it as enjoyable for your son as possible. When his thumb hurts, let him quit. Now, I'm not sure how the throttle is compared to the Suzuki...but check it out. You might be able to buy the throttle control off of another brand and fit it to your son's quad. I have been told that if you clip a portion of the throttle return spring inside the carburator it will make the thumb throttle easier to push. But in time, with a little patience, his thumb will get stroger.

Good luck with your son....And I hope you and your son get as much enjoyment out of four wheeling as my son and I do.....

P.S. I know this was long winded, and may or may not have told you what you wanted to hear....but if you have any other questions just e-mail me. I don't pretend to know everything, but If anyone can learn from my mistakes.....great.

Old 01-02-2001, 03:50 PM
Range Rover

My son (also 3 yrs. old) has an E-Ton Rascal (40cc). He too has thumb fatigue after riding just a shoet time. I think the main problem is the size of his hands right now. He is only 37 in tall and weighs 27 lbs.

I had to put 3 2x4 wood blocks on ea. floorboard just so he can have footing!See pic

Would he really be losing that much grip with a thumbsaver compared to the little he has now with such small hands? He can't even reach the break lever without removing his hand from the grip.

Old 01-02-2001, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

I think I'm going to try a thumb saver for only $12 its worth a try, I love to watch him ride he wants to jump just like dad so i just at least let him ride over the bumps he got full riding gear for christmas he looks awesome

Old 01-03-2001, 05:51 AM
Range Rover

Hey iride,

I enjoyed the picture. I love to see kids on quads.