Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Help with axle and bearing carrier assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2001, 04:25 PM
Nut
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an '86 TRX250R on which I'm installing a Durablue Eliminator axle and an RPM Millenium bearing carrier (tapered roller bearings). After assembly, I noticed that the axle seemed "shorter" on the right side. I measured from the same endpoint on each side of the axle to the center of the swingarm and found that the right side was indeed a 1/4" shorter. This was further confirmed by the suspicious misalignment of the rear sprocket and the chain slider on the swingarm. There also seems to be a slight gap between the inside flange face of the sprocket hub and the bearing grease seal in the carrier. I would think that the face of the sprocket hub should be flush against the grease seal for it to be effcetive. I tried to move the axle farther to the right inside the bearing carrier but I can't get to go any more. Am I missing something here? Does anybody have any tips for the axle/carrier assembly? Has anyone had the same problem before? I'm afraid that if I don't fix this "misalignment" I'll be throwing chains forever.

-Dave

Old 01-01-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look to see if the front and rear sprokets line up straight. Sometimes the new axle is not made the correct size(diameter) and it will will not fit into the new bearing. You might have to help it go in by putting a block of wood over the end of the axle and hitting it with a big hammer. You did not say anything about your axle nut if it fit. You should not have to change it but a few turns when putting together the axle.

Old 01-01-2001, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your sprocket hub pressed on, or held on by a snapring?