Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

who makes the best nerf bars (400ex)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-1999, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just the other day i broke my ankle , both bones. i wanted to know if these nerf bars really save you of not, i have never owned them but am considering buying a set when i get back on my feet. if anyone has any suggestions on a really good pair of nerfs let me know, thanks.

Old 11-26-1999, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

The AC Racing Nerf bars are the way to go. I have the DG and after seeing the AC's I wish I had them. Everybody is always saying that saftey isn't the purpose of nerf bars, I disagree. If it saved me from a broken ankle one time in 20 years, it would be worth it to me. My foot has landed on them once or twice, I can't tell how much of a save they have made, but I do feel better with them there. Hope your ankle heals up in time for some serious spring riding!

Old 11-27-1999, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

so go with the ac's huh? i really appreciate your opinion zjnut. i just had that accident last sun, had surgury on tues. i think if would have had nerfs this accident would have never happened. i saw my quad friends today , they're all pulling for me, and buy the way your right i can't wait to get back on the ex.i thank you again zjnut for helping a fellow quad guy out.

Old 11-27-1999, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

wms1145, hello from a fellow ankle breaker. I too did the same thing. another thing you may want to consider is peg extenders. they angle upwards to help your feet stay on the pegs. I notice some of the pros use them too. Just an idea. Get well.

Old 11-27-1999, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

hey there dune scooter, i have rode with a few of my friends that have those , i looked at them and i thought they might just be a waste of $$$$. maybe i'll get a pair of them and give them a test flight, that is in probably about 7 weeks. thanks for the idea , i really appreciate it. did you break your ankle recently or has it been some time ago? i broke mine jumping a double on our track, here in 7 weeks i'll be right back on that double again.

Old 11-28-1999, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

On Topic of the AC Nerf bars, AC makes nerf bars called "Pro-Peg Nerf Bars" that have the footpegs angled up PLUS the security of the nerfs ... Nice investment!

Chris

Old 12-05-1999, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

WMS1145--do you have any external fixation appliances as a result of your accident? Or, plates, screws, rods, etc.,? Hope you get your quad modified and get well soon. When i first got my quad in 1997, I was riding in a deeply rutted, washed out trail. I was straddling a deep rut and slipped down into it and from years of motorcycling, i put my foot down and very nearly got my lower leg and ankle. I had floor boards the next weekend.

Old 12-05-1999, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

txdoc2, yes i do have plates and screwes in my ankle, had the accident on nov 22, surgury on the 23, and as of last monday i am back on my feet already, i ditched those crutches. dr. says if they don't bother me i won't have to get the screwes and plates out.i was riding yesterday, just trail riding. i just can't stay off of my quad.are you gonna recommend any kind of nerfs for me, i have been grtting alot of replies to get the ac's, what do you think?

Old 12-05-1999, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

hakmazter, yes, i was wearing boots. I wear full race gear. I have alpinestar M3 boots. The flex on my ankle caused the tendon to pull against the inside of my ankle, breaking the inner cup off. Also, the upper on the boot broke my fibia in 2 places. Had I not been wearing the gear, I dont think I would be here today. I was out cold for quite some time. It probably would have been worse had i not been wearing the gear. I will be investing in the nerfs soon myself and have looked into the AC's. They seem to be the best.
RIDE SAFE AND PROTECTED.

Old 12-05-1999, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

The propeg is a different setup. Yes, the footpeg is slightly angled forward, but the real important part is that the peg is actually aluminum and is welded to the top of the nerfbar. You use it instead of the steel (heavy) footpegs. I just ordered some and they should be here next week. My foot slipped off on a large jump and I ran over my leg also. Thank God for motocross boots. I just limped a little because I stretched my groin, knee, and ankle. It was Thanksgiving. Was at 70% the next day, at about 95% now. To the guys who broke bones. Were you wearing riding boots? If not, look into them for $100-300, its well worth it. I've been riding for 16 years and got talked into them about 6 months ago. One of the best investments I made.
Is the UPS guy here yet????

Quick Reply: who makes the best nerf bars (400ex)?