Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Help, DynaFS programable ignition on TRX450R

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, DynaFS programable ignition on TRX450R

I need someone I can talk to about this ignition system that knows more about it than I do. Like tweaking the advance curve and getting the power valve to turn on and off at the right time. I want to make this thing run like it should be running but my local dealer doesn't know enough about them.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a little information on who I am, so I don't sound like a jack *** that doesn't know anything. I have worked at a high performance bike/ATV shop, and have helped with many dyno pulls on highly modded trx450's.

On every 450 we have done with the timing acuator boxes, such as duncans and others, we have loss power on every setting.

The most power was made on the factory setting, the higher we advanced the curve/timing, the more power we lost. The japs know what they're doing when it came to timing curves on these bikes. Leave it on the factory setting, or possible sell the box. They make less power than factory. Just giving a heads up. The best way to know for sure for yourself is having it dyno tuned, which in my opinion is worth the money. You can try every setting and see the results for yourself.

Tony

Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Every setting on this thing has a different advance curve, and i'm sorry to say that every one of them out performs and out pulls the factory setting on the hills. You are right about 1 thing though, the japs do know what they are doing, they choke down the intake, the exhaust, and yes even the advance curve to meet U.S. EPA emission specs so these machines can be sold in the U.S. because the U.S. is their #1 market. Thats why all these aftermarket companies sell performance parts so you can make them run to their full potential after they roll out of the showroom. If you don't believe me, ride any sport atv with a stock ignition box, then put any aftermarket rev box on the same machine and take it for another ride. The stock advance curve on any machine is weak.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wasn't trying to be offensive. Just sharing my experiences with dyno proven results. That's why I said go ahead and dyno it for yourself for your own results, it's well worth the money to know what peaks the power on your own bike with different combination of parts, again sorry wasn't trying to rein on your parade. And you're the one that said you want it to run like it should be running, but if you can feel the differences then why not just set it to the one that feels the strongest? Good luck and if you do dyno test please keep us updated

And now that I think about it, all the results I seen were on highly modded 450's... maybe it's different on less aggressive bikes

Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I will have to agree with PW, while I have not ever used the DynaFS ignition, I did use an after market rev box.
I have an '04 450R with Athena 480 kit, Hotcams stage II, port and polished head, full Yosh, open airbox and Uni filter.
In my opinion the bike ran much better with the stock box. I switched back and will remain with the stocker.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Noob here
I felt like I needed to respond to this question. I had a DynaFS programmable ignition on my '05 450R. I had just spent alot of money in high compression, stage 2 cam from Hotcams, port and polish, and air intake, carb, and the Dyna FS

My bike was estimated to make High 50 horsepower range. But on the day on the dyno I had some learning todo. With the DynaFS set to it's full advanced curve, I had lost 2.5 hp over the factory setting. I had felt like I had waisted my money, but had decided to keep the unit for it's other uses, just kept it on the factory setting. But I had to also cut out some pieces of the airbox, which held back 4 horsepower believe it or not! The end result was 58 horsepower, corrected.
I hope this helps someone