Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Steering Damper

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-1999, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After talking to a friend online about steering damper, I was curious about them. I was told that they reduce vibration and other stuff like that. I was woundering if the take away from steering ease. DO they? I would like to keep me orginal ease of steering. Are there any good brands I could look at?

------------------
Evan Johnson 88 LT250R 99 400EX

[This message has been edited by Evan Johnson (edited 12-06-1999).]

Old 12-07-1999, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke my wrist and sprained it repeatedly. I was wondering if a damper would help with those sudden jerky motions?

Old 12-07-1999, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan, I remember your question, but I guess it got lost in the shuffle. There are a number of dampers out there, PEP, Denton, Jas Lucky, and the Numero Uno of them all, the Scott.
Yes, with the exception of the Scott they all will affect the ease of steering to a greater or lesser degree depending on the amount of damping you select, however, I found that any additional steering effort is offset by the reduced shock felt in the body from large hits or jumps.Such impacts are transmitted up thru the steering column into your arms, & thruout your entire body increasing fatigue and affecting your performance.
The Scott damper control is mounted on the bars & can be adjusted as you ride with an infinite number of possible adjustments, & can even be tuned to no damping in turns to allow ease of turns.The down side of this one is that it costs right at $400. It can easily be switched to another bike by using another mount so that's a plus.
I run a PEP which has three settings, soft med. & stiff. I'm running it at soft with the shocks I now have & find it about right. Other brands have as many as 14 different settings & are fine if a rider is racing on many types of terrain or tracks. In my case I ride more or less the same stuff all the time so I've just set it and forget it.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 12-06-1999).]

Old 12-07-1999, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theowl,
I broke both my wrists in the same get-off on a dirt bike & I can tell you a damper does help.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org