Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Banshee pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1999, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 1996 Yamaha Banshee. The engine is stock. I am going to put a set of pipes and silencers on it. I was wondering what is the best. I race MX, TT, and ride at the dunes. I have been looking at the Toomey T5's, FMF fatty pipes, Trinity's stainless steel pipes, and LRD's adjustable pipes. What is the best?

Old 12-12-1999, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

I have the LRD's and I'm totally satisfied You can adjust them to fit your riding style and they rip, expecially around the MX track

Old 12-15-1999, 01:52 AM
Range Rover

i have the fmf fattys and i love them i guess it all depends on the style u like, but thats what i think

Old 12-16-1999, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

Banshee97 wrote:

>i have the fmf fattys and i love them

Which FMF do you have? Torque or Woods? Have you made any other engine mods to your 97?

Old 12-16-1999, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I too have a 96 banshee....
I am running the fmf "woods"... they do it for me, but from what you say....the torque may be better for you.

Old 12-16-1999, 02:09 PM
Range Rover

I too have the fmf fatties. I run the torques and love them. They seem to have pretty good power throughout. They are available in chrome now, rather than the rusting nickel plating.

Old 12-16-1999, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question pops up about once every two months or so here. Over the last year, these are my conclusions. I own T-5's, which I like, but my friend has FMF fatty torque pipes. Mine is a '99, his is a '00 model. Same exact mods and jetting. His is faster, which really ticks me off. I've heard that LRD's are a nice way to go, and it does make sense to be able to tune them, but it seems like most people set them for top end and leave 'em alone. The only problem I have with all three of these it carburetor access. It's not great. Paul Turner's design seems more like stock and they make either a midrange or top end version. I know another guy with a Turner ported and midranged piped Banshee. It's a TOTALLY different motor. LOTS of low end and midrange, but top end is less than spectacular. Then there's the new entry from Pro-Circuit. I've had PC pipes on my mx bikes, and they are REALLY nice. I don't know how well they run on a Banshee though. I trust that they built the best combo for an all around pipe. If they were available last year, I would have bought them. Trinity has a history of building very fast Banshees, but $600 for SS pipes is a bit much. Their bare steel versions are $369. I've seen dyno runs on them as well, and they are a bit peaky, but make good power. CT's pipes are similar.

Really, any of these pipes are much better than stock. If I had it to do all over again, I'd look at FMF and Pro-Circuit. The only way T-5's look nice is in chrome, which I don't have. Mine turned all sorts of colors, but are mostly blue, orange and metal gray. My friends FMF's have turned blue/orange at the head pipe area. He has the nickle finish. I'm not unhappy with the T-5's, it's just that everyone said they were the best, and I thought so too, that is until I raced a few people in the dunes. Now, I'm not so sure.

Old 12-16-1999, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

So what do yall think? Should I go with the FMF torque pipes or the LRD adjustable pipes? I know they are both great pipes, but which is better.

Old 12-17-1999, 03:18 AM
Range Rover

116:
which is better is a difficult question to answer. Everyone has different taste. Its like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge...etc. They all claim to have the best product and will tell you they dyno better than the rest. They are all pretty good pipes. A rider can make a big difference too. Money is the biggest reason for most people. I personally run fmf for all around play. T-5's are supposed to be better top end pipes for hill shooting or drag racing. As for the others, i have no idea other than what i read like you do. Had pro circuit been out when i bought mine, i probably would have gone with them due to their reputation with the motocross bikes. I know alot of guys who have modified and run fmf, and they still scream. They all basically use the same technology. Look at the disigns.
good luck.

Old 12-17-1999, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

I think it really depends on if you plan on making any other engine mods. From what I gather, the FMF Torque seems to be good for a mostly stock motor. These LRD riders are usually making other mods to their motor and it seems to be a good pipe to go along with those mods.

Engines run on math. Yes, math. Good engine builders use formulas to figure out where to make improvements (combined with a little experience). Many people blindly install various parts on their machines. If you get a good match up and the engine formulas agree, you are screamin' (provided you have the suspension and experience to make use of this power). If the formulas don't like what you put on your bike, then you may be disappointed. Then again, trial and error has worked in the past.

Quick Reply: Banshee pipes